Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avoiding Injuries with Strength Training page

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member

Avoiding Injuries with Strength Training

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey Gang-

I just posted a new article on my blog about avoiding injuries from strength training. As always, comments on the blog are encouraged!

-Al
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

bookstorecowboy is offline Senior Member
    Wow, avoiding injuries by doing deadlifts. I wonder how many people that will work out for?

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Good advice Al - and yes, I agree that the deadlift should be a mainstay exercise. Not really sure what bookstorecowboy is on about.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bookstorecowboy View Post
    Wow, avoiding injuries by doing deadlifts. I wonder how many people that will work out for?
    It will work for anyone who does their deadlifts with proper form. Sure, you can injure yourself by deadlifting with poor technique, but that's true for pretty much any exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    Good advice Al - and yes, I agree that the deadlift should be a mainstay exercise. Not really sure what bookstorecowboy is on about.
    Thanks, Coach!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Great stuff Al, as usual. Bookmarked.
    I am getting my 12 year old son into a steady routine and the master list of exercises is perfect for getting him stronger and faster.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Glockin Grok is offline Senior Member
    Nice Al,

I have always followed the "for every push do a pull" and never had anything worse than a minor strain or shin splint..

Cheers

BR1986FB is offline Senior Member
    Good stuff. Deadlifts are a must ! If you asked any 'Average Joe' lifter "what will build massive arms quicker, barbell curls or deadlifts?" I bet 9 out of 10 will say the curls.

bookstorecowboy is offline Senior Member
    Deadlifts and squats both produce frequent injuries compared to other exercises. The people who recommend them are typically fanatical gym rats who rarely suffer injuries. (In fact, they will typically say that they never had a major injury as proof of their natural superiority and proof of their knowledge of what does or does not produce injury. It is never genetics. No.) They will also say that oh yeah, squats and deadlifts are dangerous, sure, if you do not have the correct technique, but safe with the right technique. Then they will admit that 90% of the people in the gym if not 98% are using poor technique. They cannot put these two facts together. I don't know why. But I can. The conclusion is that more than 90% of the population should not be using these dangerous free weight exercises to failure.

The idea that the average person can safely train to failure on a deadlift or a squat is laughable. Someone who recommends exercises like this to people who are not training under their supervision, who probably have poor technique, and who are concerned about injury is giving rash advice. The last rep will be in a condition where the person can barely perform it (or may be unable to perform it -- often it it hard to tell, esp. for people who have not been training very long). That is what training to failure means. Under those conditions, the likelihood of injury rises dramatically, and the injuries can be terrible.

Oh, but don't worry. It's just a back injury. It will probably go away within two or three months. Besides, you can say that some guy on the internet told you it was safe, and he has big arms and great abs. You will be just like him if you follow his advice.
    Last edited by bookstorecowboy; 06-06-2011 at 07:34 PM.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Deadlifts and squats both produce frequent injuries compared to other exercises. The people who recommend them are typically fanatical gym rats who rarely suffer injuries. (In fact, they will typically say that they never had a major injury as proof of their natural superiority and proof of their knowledge of what does or does not produce injury. It is never genetics. No.) They will also say that oh yeah, squats and deadlifts are dangerous, sure, if you do not have the correct technique, but safe with the right technique. Then they will admit that 90% of the people in the gym if not 98% are using poor technique. They cannot put these two facts together. I don't know why. But I can. The conclusion is that more than 90% of the population should not be using these dangerous free weight exercises to failure.

The idea that the average person can safely train to failure on a deadlift or a squat is laughable. Someone who recommends exercises like this to people who are not training under their supervision, who probably have poor technique, and who are concerned about injury is giving rash advice. The last rep will be in a condition where the person can barely perform it (or may be unable to perform it -- often it it hard to tell, esp. for people who have not been training very long). That is what training to failure means. Under those conditions, the likelihood of injury rises dramatically, and the injuries can be terrible.

Oh, but don't worry. It's just a back injury. It will probably go away within two or three months. Besides, you can say that some guy on the internet told you it was safe, and he has big arms and great abs. You will be just like him if you follow his advice.
    I'm guessing your deadlift sucks?

Longquan is offline Member

The idea that the average person can safely train to failure on a deadlift or a squat is laughable.
    so, who said you have to train deads and squats (or any other exercise) to failure to produce results, especially if the goal is injury prevention, strength or even hypertrophy? Just because you don't know more than training to failure doesn't mean it's the only way...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast