Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bulking Question page 3

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

I do eat carbs... I get between 100-150 grams a day... 2 fruits 2 veggies, whole milk, almonds and cheese.

i've bumped up my food intake and we'll see what happens

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Ah okay. That's a great carb range to be on.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

bazt Guest

Rapha, what can I say, what works for some people may not work for others. I think you should to read up on Glycogen replenishment, it&#39;s not all about glycogen replenishment and it really isn&#39;t as simple as you put it, not forgetting what I said about "how" you train and the utilisation of different energy pathways. (The Anaerobic (ATP-CP) Energy System/ The Anaerobic Lactate (Glycolytic) System/ The Aerobic Energy System)

Glycogen replenishment isn&#39;t even the big factor in this anyway, a wet cell is a bigger cell, a bigger cell is a stronger cell. *But* it all comes down to how you train. You don&#39;t *need* carbs.

Your muscle uses glycogen for the big lifts. How are you going to train properly if you don&#39;t have stored energy?

JustinKN is offline Junior Member

I think all this muscle glycogen stuff is bunk. Do you have any proof or research to back up your statements, Raphael, except the fact that you had trouble lifting when going low carb? Rather than slinging around opinions as facts I would like to see at least a little research to back up your wild claims, besides the fact that "everybody knows muscles need glycogen".

I feel better with more carbs, started breaking the plateau, and lift heavier; that&#39;s enough for -me-. Besides, it was from the advice from this forum that I decided to re-add carbs in my diet. I&#39;m not the only one here who advocates moderate carb consumption along with bodybuilding. I was very skeptical about carbs at first, too.

There really is no reason to deprive the body of carbs if you&#39;re not looking to lose weight or if you don&#39;t have a health problem. If you want to bulk, then carbs will definitely help you. How is that wrong?

Here is some information I&#39;ve found from reading statements by other zero carbers, and while I cannot prove any of it, I would be interested in any research that can DISprove it.

"The muscles only use free fatty acids complexed with n-acetylcarnitine to provide the energy to reverse ADP to ATP, no carbs are consumed in this process, either as glucose or as glycogen.

The famous &#39;wall&#39; hit by runners etc., indicates a problem in mobilising bodyfat in a carb-loading individual once dietary circulating fat is consumed. It doesn&#39;t happen in those who are already burning fat for energy because....they&#39;re already burning fat for energy so using up glycogen stores isn&#39;t a problem as the body switches to fat without breaking stride.

Glycogen is stored around the body and is used as a fast resource when blood sugar drops- since glucose is not consumed by skeletal muscles it remains in the tissues.

The reason carbs are promoted so vigorously in the magazines, thus in forums, is due to the publishers financial interests- they are all manufacturers of &#39;supplements&#39; which are always carb-based sugar and starch being far cheaper than protein."

It&#39;s not "wrong", it just begs some questions. How long were you VLC before you started training? Could your body still have been adapting to burning solely fat as fuel? Do you consume more calories now that you are eating more carbohydrates. Could any of your results been overcoming a mental plateau rather than physical?

To say "deprive" is implying that our bodies need carbs as a requirement. Obviously, that&#39;s not true.

I would be willing to introduce some carbs before and after weight sessions if I found reason that such an act is truly beneficial.

Everything I have read confirms that muscles use carbs (glycogen) for heavy lifting. You can get away with zero-carb cardio, because your body will be burning fat for energy. But with intense weight lifting, you need the carbs. That&#39;s what I have learned, but if you think you have anything to teach me, I&#39;m open for it. But I really don&#39;t want to give up my new found love now: sweet potatoes.

One thing I don&#39;t advocate, though, is carbs post work out. That&#39;s where the marketing comes in.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Heh, OK. I suppose my only beef is that I kept seeing you making posts based on personal opinion/experience that you convey as cold, hard fact rather than prefacing with words such as "what has worked for me is..." or "It&#39;s my impression". Just here to play devils advocate, making sure no gospel is being thrown around.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast