Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bulking Question page 2

bobbylight Guest

Shop Now

Can you bulk up on a primal diet? Yes, most likely? Is it the easiest and most efficient way to do it? No, definitely not. Ask anyone that is a body builder or trains body builders. These people know the most about bulking...and you can see the results. If you go to bodybuilding.com, I can guarentee you will find tons of people that are bigger and more muscular than anyone on this website. Is it good for long term health? That is debatable. But for bulking, they know what they are talking about. If you don't recognize that body builders would know how to bulk the best, then you are obviously very bright.

SeanBissell is offline Junior Member

I've spent many hours on bodybuilding.com and in the forums, reading, researching, etc.

Many of those people have no idea what they're doing, and just cause fights, bicker, debate over nothingness.

That being said, there's lots of good info in there too if you sift through most of the junk.

Many of the people on bodybuilding.com advocate the whole bulk/cut routine, which is (I think) generally a good idea.

But many of them do it sloppy, and they do technically "bulk" but they also put on much more bodyfat than they needed to.

Then they end up losing a lot of their gains by cutting too hard.

I know I've been there before.

And many of the people on bodybuilding.com take sketchy supplements as well.

It isn't always the best place to get good advice unless you know what to filter out.

How did I gain 15 pounds?

Just by eating about 500 calories over my maintainance calories and keeping my protein generally high (somewhere around 1 gram per pound of lean weight.)

-Sean

egmutza Guest

bobbylight,

A few things to consider about bodybuilding.com in terms of their success at bulking compared to your average PB follower.

1. I suspect a good deal of the people you see posting about huge muscle gains on that site are leaving out a few of their...ahem..."supplements"

2. There may also be some self-selection going on, in that people who are naturally adept at building muscle are more likely to visit a site called bodybuilder.com than they are marksdailyapple.com

That said, I've spent some time on the site, and as Sean commented, there's a lot of good info to be gleaned from it if you can separate the wheat from the considerable chaff.

Personally, I'm a hard-gainer(6,1 - 140lbs - 12-14% body fat) and have been doing the Body By Science Big 5 workout for the past six months with no measurable change in muscle size or body fat, despite impressive strength gains. I'm just now starting to significantly increase my calorie intake and adding some tubers to see if that makes a difference.

BigBeck89 Guest

heres that link:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/gain-weight-build-muscle/

you can bulk fine on the PB.

all it comes down to is upping calories and workout carbs. which can easily be done with whole foods.

there is nothing magical about oats and milk. they are just easy sources of kcals and carbs

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Potatoes. Just remember this: you need carbs; for bodybuilding, that is.

¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
    ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

bazt Guest

^ No you don&#39;t.

How so?

Get Primal is offline Junior Member

Me: 40 yr old male. Long history as a runner. Until about 18 months ago was a long distance runner only. About 6&#39; tall and just under 170lbs when I was running my best. Wore 32" jeans. May not sound that skinny, but with my frame people thought I was sick I was so skinny. Ate nothing but carbs for the most part.

Changed to primal diet...very low carb. Began supplementing running with Crossfit style workouts. I currently weight about 192. I don&#39;t measure bodyfat but I promise you it&#39;s lower than when I weighed 170. I still wear 32" jeans, the thighs are just more snug. I&#39;ve lost bodyfat and gained over 20 lbs in a little over a year (took me a few months in the beginning to get rolling). My wife cannot believe how muscular I am.

Arthur, eat a primal diet and do hardcore intense strength workouts (not necessarily heavy weight, I seldom go very heavy) and you&#39;ll gain plenty of muscle while melting fat.

I know very little about the bodybuilding world other than the one person that I occasionally workout with that participates in bodybuilding. He most certainly doesn&#39;t eat a high carb diet, and he&#39;s big as a truck. He&#39;s very lean and eats a very high fat/protein diet.

bazt Guest

You tell me!

I could happily eat nothing but steak and eggs and still slap on muscle, and in fact do! Remember Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy is an increase in the volume of the non contractile muscle cell fluid, sarcoplasm and accounts for 25-30% of the muscle’s size, now, you eat carbs you pull water/glycogen into the muscle making them look pumped up, Myofibrillar hypertrophy, on the other hand, is enlargement of the muscle fiber as it gains more myofibrils. Building muscle doesn&#39;t rely on carbs, it&#39;s more to do with how you train, then what you eat.

edit: I&#39;m not saying I slap on muscle with ease...I have to work hard to do so, like everyone else, just saying you don&#39;t necessarily need carbs to do so.

You need carbs to replenish your glycogen stores, otherwise protein will be converted into glucose for that. That&#39;s a big waste of protein. You either eat some 300 grams of protein to compensate for the carb deficit, or you just eat some damned carbs to get the job done. Which one do you prefer?

I went about 3 months on a super-low-carb diet and I didn&#39;t gain an gram of muscle mass. Now that I started eating carbs again (just ~100 grams a day: enough for glycogen stores) I feel MUCH better. Everything has improved.

arthurb999, eat carbs. You don&#39;t need to lose any weight, anyways.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast