Thread: Strength training = sleepy arms? page

Roary is offline Senior Member

Strength training = sleepy arms?

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone -- I've been lurking for a few weeks and this forum has been an amazing resource for me. Thank you all for donating so much time and knowledge to helping others get started. I do have a question that I haven't seen in the archives, so I joined to ask and I'm hoping there's an explanation and/or correction.

Whenever I do strength training -- in the case of PB, I've been doing the Primal Fitness movements, but it's happened in the past with other weight training or yoga -- my arms fall asleep easily. You know, that tingly feeling. If I wake up throughout the night I can feel it, and certainly in the mornings. Any idea why? Is it bad? Can I fix it? Am I doing something wrong?

I've been doing about 30 pushups, the planks, working toward a pullup (argh! I want to do a pullup so badly!), the squats -- the whole deal. I'm female, if that matters. Any thoughts appreciated.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Stretch your arms. I find that if I get on my knees and put my palms on the floor with my fingers pointing to me... i get an incredible stretch in my forearms and triceps... which is what i think is causing your problem.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Mine used to fall asleep really easily, especially the pink+ring fingers (radial nerve?). It's gotten better lately, but I really don't know what I did to improve it. Maybe you need a pulling exercise to counteract the pushups.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    You may have some shoulder impingement - I know plenty of people who had this exact problem. Nerve compression and reduced blood flow related to the shoulder position. Any chance of a picture of your shoulders in their 'natural' position?

pyro13g is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    You may have some shoulder impingement - I know plenty of people who had this exact problem. Nerve compression and reduced blood flow related to the shoulder position. Any chance of a picture of your shoulders in their 'natural' position?
    My bet too. Same symptoms for me and exactly why I experience it.

Thanks for the help! I can tell you that when I stand naturally, my shoulders tend to round forward a bit. When I think about it, I try to hold them down and back, but most of the time I'm a bit hunched up. I've been aware of that for a while but have had little success in fixing it -- I guess I'm not sure how. I don't know what an impingement is but my next step is to look that up. Can I assume that correcting such a thing will fix the tingly?

arthurb - that stretch feels amazing and I'll do that whether or not it fixes the problem!

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Correcting it may well fix the problem - plenty of stretching and trying to figure out why you shoulders round forward will help you to get there. Too much forward pressing, sitting for extended periods and shoulder ROM will all have an impact. Shoulder dislocations on rings can help massively.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Now that y'all mentioned it, I think my numbess did improve after I made a concious effort to keep my shoulders down and back. It felt really unnatural and took concious effort, but after a few days of always keeping it in mind while standing, it started to feel normal.

I'm pretty sure it was this post that made me more concious of my posture: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/improve-posture/
    I remember watching a video of Esther Gokhale teaching posture. She had the students do a kind of segmented shoulder roll: "a little forward, a little up, a LOT back" and then relax. I did that exercise throughout the day and I think it really helped.
    Last edited by yodiewan; 06-07-2011 at 05:33 AM.

Super. Stretching it out, better posture. I did work on it yesterday and my arms weren't sleepy this morning. Coincidence, maybe, but I'll keep at it and if this doesn't help long-term I'll investigate the impingement angle. Thanks so much!