Thread: I need some inspiraion for my weight lifting routine! page

Sonnenblume is offline Senior Member

I need some inspiraion for my weight lifting routine!

Shop Now
    I am "seriously" weight training for about 1,5 years now which means that I focus on lifts like squats, deadlifts, presses, chin-ups (assisted), etc, and use challenging weights. I lift three times a week. My problem is that I do pretty much the same in every session. Maybe I sometimes substitute lunges for squats and choose a different type of press but this is the most congenial I get. One change I have made is that I dedicated one session to lifting "very" heavy for 5 reps/5 sets/5-6 exercises. But otherwise it is always the same stuff. I do cardio (I still run), interval/metcon workouts the days I do not lift. If you ask me about my goals I am not too sure about this. I have managed to put on as much muscle as a female ectomorph possibly can without without allowing her whole life revolve around fitness, but I still think a little more definition would be fine . I would love to lose some stubborn fat in my lower body, without wanting to lose more than maybe 5 pounds - but this is a goal probably not related to my lifting routine? I definitely need some inspiration how to structure my workouts!
    Thank you so much

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I've been using Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 program. It focuses on the big lifts that you are doing, but gives you a template to measure your progress. Google can help you find enough info about it to see if it's for you.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    A systematic program gives you goals to hit every workout, which accumulates to goals on a longer term basis.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    I think the fact that you aren't too sure about your goals is an issue - work out what you really want from your training. With regards to making it interesting, strength training tends to work best when based on the stalwart lifts. The interesting bit comes from adding weight regularly. What do you do for met con?

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    I think the fact that you aren't too sure about your goals is an issue - work out what you really want from your training. With regards to making it interesting, strength training tends to work best when based on the stalwart lifts. The interesting bit comes from adding weight regularly. What do you do for met con?
    +1

Beef51 is offline Junior Member
    Use some creativity! switch between bars/db, throw in as much instability as possible.. look up some explosive OLE lifts like jerk press or the snatch series. The explosive lifts ALWAYS engage the body's core-abdominals,spinus erectus, quads, hams, and hipflexors. These lifts also stimulate a neuroendocrine response which aids in the release of endorphins!

MOST IMPORTANTLY!!: Time EVERY workout! Record time, weight, and reps every workout. Then, try to 'beat' that time during the next time you do the same workout. If you switch workouts have a name or number for each-makes them easier to remember. Not only is this practice anaerobic AND aerobic but you get out of the gym quicker! an example of a workout:

5 rounds for TIME:
    5 db bench press --lbs
    10 deadlifts
    15 pullups
    20 broad jumps
    25 air squats

The difference? "ok go ahead" vs. "3-2-1 GO!" holds a lot of power

Enjoy!