Thread: Just a few quick questions from a Newbie page

irnmunkey is offline Junior Member

Red face Just a few quick questions from a Newbie

Shop Now
    Hi

I,ve only been eating Primal for 5 days. Not strictly primal as in the Primal Blueprint but started from the Art De Vanys New Evolution Diet.

Been reading up on this site as don't have money for Arts paid Blog! The basics seem the same but there are a few differences (all the oil and saturated fats) I am going to buy the Primal Blueprint book next payday!

I have just a few questions on those differences before I get the book:

1. Does the PB allow me to eat tubers e.g. carrots, parsnips etc?

2. Can you eat banana and citrus fruits?

3. Whats the deal with seeds as Arts thinking is that seeds contain lots of bad stuff as they have evolved to survice by becoming toxic.

I,m very happy on the diet so far as I never feel very hungry which for someone who was a full on carb addict is great!

Also last quick question since being on this diet I have been having somewhat liquid bowel movements! Just wondered if this is normal?

Thanks in advance for any replies

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Whether or not you eat carb-y fruits and vegetables is up to you. Depends a lot on if you have a lot of weight to lose, are prone to carb-induced cravings, or do a lot of heavy lifting or vigorous workouts.

I don't eat seeds, but that's mostly because I don't really like them. Well, except for a spoonful of ground flax every so often but that's mixed in with other stuff.

Bowel movements, for most people, are either liquidy or extra firm for the first week or so. Totally normal and will even out over time.

welcome!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Daria is offline Member
    Yes you can eat carrots and parsnips. The book advises you not to eat potatoes, especially if you wish to lose fat to avoid their insulin spike. You can add back some potato from time to time once you get to a maintenance phase and sweet potatoes are really the recommended type for their nutrients.
    You can eat fruit, banana and citrus fruits do have high fructose content though so I wouldn't go crazy on them if you are trying to keep carbs within a certain range.
    Oils made from seeds are out, but you can snack on nuts.
    The book is good I just read through it myself. But there isn't anything in there that you can't find on his blog for free. The book just makes everything nice and succinct for you so you don't have to dig through posts.

One thing I can recommend that helped me tremendously in the first few weeks was fitday.com. I used it to track all my food intake to get a good idea on how many carbs I was really consuming. Welcome and good luck!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by belinda View Post
    Whether or not you eat carb-y fruits and vegetables is up to you. Depends a lot on if you have a lot of weight to lose, are prone to carb-induced cravings, or do a lot of heavy lifting or vigorous workouts.

I don't eat seeds, but that's mostly because I don't really like them. Well, except for a spoonful of ground flax every so often but that's mixed in with other stuff.

Bowel movements, for most people, are either liquidy or extra firm for the first week or so. Totally normal and will even out over time.

welcome!
    +1
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    Yes you can eat carrots and parsnips. The book advises you not to eat potatoes, especially if you wish to lose fat to avoid their insulin spike. You can add back some potato from time to time once you get to a maintenance phase and sweet potatoes are really the recommended type for their nutrients.
    You can eat fruit, banana and citrus fruits do have high fructose content though so I wouldn't go crazy on them if you are trying to keep carbs within a certain range.
    Oils made from seeds are out, but you can snack on nuts.
    The book is good I just read through it myself. But there isn't anything in there that you can't find on his blog for free. The book just makes everything nice and succinct for you so you don't have to dig through posts.

One thing I can recommend that helped me tremendously in the first few weeks was fitday.com. I used it to track all my food intake to get a good idea on how many carbs I was really consuming. Welcome and good luck!
    +1
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Lucy is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Hi and welcome,
    I eat very little fruit because I need to lose weight but I will reintroduce them back into my diet when I reach my goal weight I keep my carbs under 100 grams a day. So far lost 18 pounds in 14 weeks. You will be so happy that you have discovered Primal.