Thread: What to after a weird episode page

DSR84 is offline Member

What to after a weird episode

Primal Fuel
    So this weekend was really busy, with friends being in town and work stuff, and I wound up doing something stupid: I didn't eat enough food for the amount of activity (walking around and having fun PLUS my standard workouts) I was putting out. As a result, I had a potassium "episode". Essentially, I didn't have enough in my body, and I fainted and lost consciousness for a few seconds, woke up, vomited, and wound up in the emergency room for a couple of hours on an IV. The docs (who said I was in superb health besides the potassium deficiency, by the way) gave me some potassium pills and let me go home. I suspect this potassium episode isn't a result of lack of it in long term diet, but rather a lack of sufficient food period over a two day period.

So today I reevaluated my diet and am going to try and consume more potassium than I normally would for the short term at least (lots of tomatoes and avocado today, not that I'm complaining), and I also ate a couple of sweet potatoes at dinner as sort of a mini carb refeed just to be sure, especially after vomiting. As I type this, I'm feeling a hundred percent.

But, when things like this happen, what's the best way of handling the aftermath and climbing back on the horse. I feel good now, so I guess I've got it partly right, but are there any expert opinions out there?

Ronstar is offline Member
    This sounds really weird. Are you pretty skinny?
    Was there any alcohol involved? Drugs/prescriptions?
    How did hunger not compel you to simply eat enough to stay conscious?

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    Actually, I'm begining to realize that I come up short (I've been recording what I eat for about a week and a half) consistently in potassium, too. If you think about places to find it (coconut water, sweet potatoes, bananas) they're sweet carby things that I avoid. I asked my primal doctor how to get potassium and he said the best way would be to supplement it. I think its a good idea.
    Little Saiyan

StillWild is offline Member
    Coconut Water. I have the same problem. I was working outside (90-95 degrees and humid) doing construction work. When it's hot I just don't get hungry and I have to remind myself to eat. Towards the end of the job, I ended up feeling really weak, had a huge headache, and finally tossed cookies before giving up on it and going to bed (slept for about ten hours). Coconut water brought me right back though the garage is still not done. :P
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key."
    ~The Eagles, "Already Gone"

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Be careful people!! Hypokalemia can cause cardiac dysrhythmias!! Eat your fruit and veg and yes, supplement if you have to, this is not something you want to mess around with.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for letting me know about the coconut water. I eat sweet potato once or twice a week but have cut way back on bananas and cramping has been an issue for me. I do supplement with magnesium, but now I'll be getting coconut water to drink in the afternoons.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

DSR84 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
    This sounds really weird. Are you pretty skinny?
    Was there any alcohol involved? Drugs/prescriptions?
    How did hunger not compel you to simply eat enough to stay conscious?
    I wouldn't call myself "skinny", still got a little spare tire action going on that I'm not proud of, but I am getting pretty close to my goal look. I had plateaued a bit, so I was really holding back on the sugars for the past month or so, which for me basically meant cutting back on fruit. No booze, no drugs involved, didn't ever feel really starving. I did have a couple of "meals", but they were pretty small, not nearly enough nutrition. I literally ate a ton yesterday (the day after the episode), and made sure to include a lot of potassium rich foods like tomatoes, avocados, and sweet potatoes. I'll probably start supplementing very soon, but I think I can get by with including more stuff like avocado and whatnot in my diet.