Thread: Avoiding the gym during flu season... page

Paneristi is offline Member

About 5 days ago, I came home from the gym and didn't feel too good. The next day I had the chills, and then for the next 2 days I've had a persistent low-grade fever and bronchial congestion. I lost 5 pounds and my strength plummeted.

Are you guys afraid of going to the gym because it's a high traffic place where people are sweating and putting their faces up against machine pads and benches or are you guys scared that the temporarily weakened immune system heavy training causes will make the flu full force where otherwise it may pass through relatively innocuously? Or both, of course.

For me it's mainly the second. Working out heavy can place too much stress on the body in the short time. But I do like to work out fairly heavy in short time (which, I think, is the worst way to work out if you don't want to get sick). One fairly easy way of taking care of that is by changing your routine during flu season by working out less and less strenuously. It doesn't have to be work out or don't work out. Might also be a good time to switch things up: maybe a p90x type body weight routine from the home? Better yet, when you think of how many quality exercises can be done, one barbell and a couple of plates is really all you need in the basement to hit everything.

Yeah, get the flu shot too, it might help.

BigBeck89 Guest

nope I really don't consider any of that. I haven't been sick in years...not even sniffles. one of my apartment mates got swine flu and remained inside for about 3 weeks, but I never got any symptoms.

I'm not sure what it is. primal eating, consistency on my supplements(o3 and D), my mindset,immune system, or just luck...

MariaNYC is offline Senior Member

I'm not really worried about it. I imagine there is at least as much, and maybe more, bacteria on subways and other public place than the gym. At my gym, I see people using the sanitizers obsessively. Plus, people who are sick are less likely to go to the gym, anyway.

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

NeoPaleo is offline Junior Member

I actually think about this now-and-then, but I think of it as a chance to come into contact with various germs so my super-healthy body can build up its anti-bodies. (I work at home so I don't get "exposed" to sick people at work.) I think if I stayed home, my body wouldn't be able to build up any immunity to anything.

But I may be completely wrong too - it happened once in 1986.

SocraticMethod is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I contracted MRSA this summer. It knocked me out of training in any capacity for more than a month. Since my return to the gym, I bring antibacterial wipes with me. As soon as I finish, I wipe my face, neck, hands, arms, legs (if I was wearing shorts) and feet, as well as the insides of my vibrams and knee brace. Is it overkill? Maybe. But I don't ever, ever, ever, ever, ever want MRSA again.