Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is grass-fed meat really all that? page

PokeyBug is offline Member

Is grass-fed meat really all that?

Shop Now
    I was doing some surfing on grass-fed meat when I ran across this website Fanatic Cook: Omega-6 And Omega-3 Content Of Common Foods, with the following statement:

Another thing I learned doing this - When it comes to omega-3 content, there's hardly a difference between grass-fed beef and conventional beef. And neither of them provide more than a few milligrams in the raw state, probably negligible amounts after being cooked.
    Unfortunately, she didn't back this up with any references. I'm doubting this is true, mostly because I've read a lot of sources that state grass-fed has more Omega 3's. OTOH, those are statements that I've just taken at face value. I've never researched those sources, either. Surely, the whole grass-fed-has-more-n3's has been scrutinized by the Paleo world? All the research I've done, though, just states it as a common fact, with no studies to back it up.

Can anyone link me to a study on the subject, so that I can either happily pay double for my meat or happily reduce my grocery budget, lol?

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    Here's one---->Primal Wisdom: The Practically Primal Guide to Conventional Beef, Part 3: Nutritional composition

There are plenty of reasons why we prefer organic, 100% grassfed meats (higher nutrients/anti-cancer properties, animal welfare, sustainability, etc). While it is true that omega 3 do increase in 100% grassfed Beef, Lamb, Goat, and Bison, in reality, there isn't that much omega 6 or total PUFA in all them (even in their CAFO counterparts) to really matter. If you want omega 3, go for wild caught fatty seafood. It is senseless to rely on any of these meats for your omega 3.
    Last edited by Zed; 06-05-2011 at 04:58 PM.

PokeyBug is offline Member
    Oooh! Good one! Thanks for helping me to know I haven't been wasting my money, lol!

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PokeyBug View Post
    Oooh! Good one! Thanks for helping me to know I haven't been wasting my money, lol!
    No problem. The most important thing about getting organic 100% grassfed meats is that you are getting a better omega 6:3 ratio.

weird fish is offline Senior Member
    Well, you can be more confident that the animals whose bodies you are eating are being treated fairly and it's not contributing to the destruction of huge swaths of land, so I'd say it's 'all that'. Meat from ruminants is not a significant source of o-3 or o-6, but that doesn't mean you don't have to think about where the meat you're paying an artificially low price for is coming from.

nocturnalmama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by weird fish View Post
    Well, you can be more confident that the animals whose bodies you are eating are being treated fairly and it's not contributing to the destruction of huge swaths of land, so I'd say it's 'all that'. Meat from ruminants is not a significant source of o-3 or o-6, but that doesn't mean you don't have to think about where the meat you're paying an artificially low price for is coming from.
    +1000
    Robin
    ~primal mama to 3~

Sambo is offline Member
    There's already so much mistreatment of animals just so we can support the population explosion and spread of our own species, and it's only going to go downhill as china and india etc get wealthier and demand more meat. Instead of focusing on our stomachs and the minutiae of our health, the least we can do is support the farmers who treat their animals well and graze them.
    Meri bilong mi i belhot!

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    There's already so much mistreatment of animals just so we can support the population explosion and spread of our own species, and it's only going to go downhill as china and india etc get wealthier and demand more meat. Instead of focusing on our stomachs and the minutiae of our health, the least we can do is support the farmers who treat their animals well and graze them.
    +1 I totally agree. The main reason I choose grass fed organic is to support the local farmer and for the overall sustainability. Grain fed red meat do not have more n3 but do have less n6 which does help your ratio out. Local grass fed meat is probably a lot more fresh and has less distance to travel from the "farm" to the grocery store. Plus I don't have to worry about the meat coming from sick animals fed hormones and possibly passing off any of that to me or my family. I feel confident eating grass fed organic meat that is barely cooked and almost rare but I can't say the same for CAFO meats.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Darwin17 is offline Senior Member
    I tastes better

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Darwin17 View Post
    I tastes better
    That's the easy answer.

More complicated answer is that the animals are treated like animals and not lab test tubes. It's healthier for us too because we aren't eating the hormones and antibiotics and candies with the wrappers still on that are being fed to factory farmed animals. It's better for the soil to not be growing buttloads of corn and other grains (esp GMO) that are then fed to the livestock. It's just better all around.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast