Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heavy cream counts as fat not dairy, right? page

tumbleweed is offline Member

Heavy cream counts as fat not dairy, right?

Primal Fuel
    I'm trying to lose a little fat and have cut out dairy in an attempt to lose more than the one pound a week I've been losing. Do I have to count the heavy cream I put in my coffee as dairy? How does it metabolize...as dairy or just regular fat? TIA

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Depends on how sensitive you are to dairy.

If you do HWC, avoid the HWC with mono and diglycerides(=trans fats made from soybean oil that fall outside the requirement for trans-fat labeling!) and polysorbate 80(made from corn oil). I don't worry about carrageenan, it's basically seaweed.

Gordo

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    If you do fine with dairy, by all means use Heavy Cream! I second the last poster. Try to find an organic source, with no additives or preservatives. My local supermarket sells Organic Vally Heavy Cream. Just Milk/Cream.

Heavy Creams fall under full-fat dairy.
    Last edited by Zed; 06-05-2011 at 04:52 PM.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Interesting... the only organic valley I can find is organic ultra-pasteurized and it has carrageenan in it. I looked at the website and there is also one that is just pasteurized and doesn't have carrageenan. I wonder why that is.
    Organic Valley - Organic Heavy Whipping Cream

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Trader Joe's sells pure heavy whipping cream where the only ingredient is "cream". That's what I buy. Plus, it's pasteurized, not ultra-pasteurized, so it doesn't taste burnt and you can whip it into your own butter after souring it with buttermilk for a day or two. It's the same price as the ultra-pasteurized junk at Shop Rite with 9 ingredients in it or however many additives it has.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    Interesting... the only organic valley I can find is organic ultra-pasteurized and it has carrageenan in it. I looked at the website and there is also one that is just pasteurized and doesn't have carrageenan. I wonder why that is.
    Organic Valley - Organic Heavy Whipping Cream
    The former has a longer self-life. But even with regular heavy cream (the latter), it can be "good" well after the expiration date (the amount of fat, minus sugar/carbs, allows it to more stable).

mm84321 is offline Senior Member
    This is unequivocally one of the most inane questions I have ever heard in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by mm84321 View Post
    This is unequivocally one of the most inane questions I have ever heard in my life.

Why? I'm asking how it's metabolized and if it's different because it's milk? Your answer is not helpful....I don't mind that you think it's a dumb question (although I would have preferred a slightly less caustic response), just that you didn't explain why. I'm new at this and trying to learn.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    Interesting... the only organic valley I can find is organic ultra-pasteurized and it has carrageenan in it.
    The pints which I get at my corner health-food store have carrageenan in them. The half-gallons which Whole Foods used to carry were just cream. It had little dots of yellow butterfat in it. Yum. I'm bummed about the half-gallons going away. Whole Foods loses, though, that was my main motivation for making the drive across town and then once I was there, I'd generally drop $50.

Gordo

Mine says it contains cream, sodium citrate (salt?), and carrageenan. Good enough?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast