Thread: She only has one kidney.... page

She only has one kidney....

Shop Now
    I have a friend who is asking about weight loss. She was asking me stuff about weight watchers and I told her I could no longer reccomend it. She said her dr has told her that because she only has one kidney she can not eat a lot of protein.

Would eating primal be bad for her (in anyone's probably not medical professional opinion)?

Paleobird Guest
    I too only have one kidney and I'm doing great on primal, just watching my macros and calorie intake. I've lost almost 20 lbs and gone from a size 12 to an 8.
    Also I just had a complete physical checkup for the medical waiver necessary to climb Mt. Kilimangaro and was pronounced fit as the proverbial fiddle.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    I have one kidney, too, and have been doing just fine eating this way for the past 3 and a half years. As I understand it, high protein consumption can be a problem only if the kidney is damaged or function is impaired somehow.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Thank you. I shared your replies with her. She is looking into this and going to weigh the pros and cons between PB and weight watchers.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I'm glad we have some people with experience here. Hopefully her doctor is willing to give her an actual guideline for what is "too much" protein. There's no reason she has to keep eating grains, legumes, seed oils & such to avoid overconsuming protein. The primal guidelines themselves aren't particularly high protein, either.

My friends that I've told about my dietary habits often assume that I eat a lot of meat. I'm not eating any more than I used to. I'm not shying away from the red meat and fattier cuts as I used to. What I've given up in starch, I've largely replaced with healthy fats.

Paleobird Guest
    The body can function just fine with only one kidney. Having a second one is kind of a redundant back up system installed by Mother Nature. The only time the back up is needed is in the case of injury (getting gored by wooly mammoths and such) and in the case of pregnancy. They say you are "eating for two" well, you are doing everything else for two as well. If your friend was planning a pregnancy I would definitely check with a doctor about this but if not, there is no reason she shouldn't be like any other human as long as renal function is normal. And keep an eye out for mammoths.