Thread: Newbie needs help with diet page

Viking_999 is offline Junior Member

Newbie needs help with diet

Primal Fuel
    Hello all

Greeting from London , UK. I have being going paelo for a year now and have went down from 180lbs to 155lbs, but lately after my vacation i went up to 163lbs and have been hanging around that number for 6 moths or so.
    I first started this diet since reading the husband and wife team of Dr Eades ( I think) Lose your middle aged middle!!. this was great no carb and eat fat and protein. The problem I have now is that I cant seem to lose any more. we all wish for that flat belly dont we? Anyhow. I live in a bedsit type accommodation which consists of a Room with a sink and thats it no kitchen. So doing recipes is hard for me. I do cook with my microwave and george foreman and also I have a halogen oven.

I need advice on what to do, my meals mainly consist of a portion of meat/fish with a large potion of veg. To get a bigger portion of fat I pour over approx a table spoon of Olive oil over the veg. What else can I do. I exercise 6 days week approx 3 hrs of cardio. and two primal workouts a week.

Any advice will be much appreciated

Many Thanks

Viking

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Hi Viking!

Are you sure that the gain is fat? It could be muscle and bone. How do your clothes fit? How is your belly? Is it getting flatter?

Three hours of cardio six days a week, if that is what you are saying, is way too much. If you mean a total of 3 hours per week, that is different. It still should be less than full out cardio except for a couple of short sprint sessions.

What meats do you eat? Do you eat variety cuts or just lean?
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Hedonist - Thank you for getting back. I do approx 3 hrs a week of cardio, that includes one sprint session . I follow the Primal fitness as Mark wrote in his book. The My belly doesnt seem to be getting flatter. one day its a tighter hole on my belt another week it could be I need to loosen the belt. I eat varied cuts of meat. Rib eye steak, sirloin to filet. Thats not every day but red meat probably every 3 days. 1 chicken breast or maybe 1 portion of salmon which probably ways in at 3 1/2 oz.
    I am not sure if I am eating enough protein to be honest! isnt it 1g per body weight so I should be eaten 163g worth, doesn't seem to add to what I eat. I must only eat in the 50g carbs range if I'm lucky in Veg too. Maybe I should cut out dairy altogether ? any thoughts

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Your exercise sounds fine. By cuts of meat, I meant do you eat anything like liver. I'm not an expert on protein but it sounds like you could use more. Dairy can stop people from losing those last pounds. You could try cutting it to see.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

I do eat liver on occasion but I guess not enough. I actually ate liver yesterday for breakfast whilst at work from a cafe. it was a very good portion too with a slice of bacon and tin/plum toms. I am certainly not get the fullness I think I need. I am mostly hungry after just a 1 or 2 hrs.

NomadRip is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking_999 View Post
    I am not sure if I am eating enough protein to be honest! isnt it 1g per body weight so I should be eaten 163g worth, doesn't seem to add to what I eat. I must only eat in the 50g carbs range if I'm lucky in Veg too. Maybe I should cut out dairy altogether ? any thoughts
    I could be wrong here, as I don't count these numbers. But is the .7-1g of protein for bodyweight lean bodyweight, or total bodyweight? Lean bodyweight would be your weight, less your body fat. Might want to check which number that is calculating, because it would be a bit of a difference.
    -James
    Just a n00b

jaysond is offline Senior Member
    try to include some more healthy fats like avacado, nuts/seeds and lower your carbs. carbs, carbs, carbs when you want to loose. sometimes carbs can be hard to track and count

i went primal in feb 2010
    200lbs
    37% body fat
    38-40 waist

1 year to the day
    140lbs
    7.8% body fat
    29 waist

currently
    137lbs
    7% body fat
    29 waist

Thats just it I dont have any carbs the only carbs I get are from my Veg. Jayson whats your typical meal intake could you give me a run down breakfast lunch etc snacks? cheers

jaysond is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking_999 View Post
    Thats just it I dont have any carbs the only carbs I get are from my Veg. Jayson whats your typical meal intake could you give me a run down breakfast lunch etc snacks? cheers
    ya totally.

breakfast i choose the whey protein shake route because breakfast is usually my post workout meal and its quick and simple as i am heading out the door to work. i will also have a handful of almonds or a TBS of almond butter. i mix my shake with water, green tea powder and fresh ground cinnamon.

snacks THROUGHOUT the day are; asparagus, celery, baby carrots, cucumber slices, grape/cherry tomatos, 1/4 of an apple, 1/4 of grapefruit, small handful of blueberries, 3 strawberries and handful of almonds again.

lunch is a few brussells sprouts, 1/4 avacado, veggies like broccoli, spinach, peppers, ect. and either wild caught fish or chicken.

dinner is an scramble eggs with garlic, onions, cayenne and tumeric pepper

bedtime i have a casien protein shake with almond butter

i stay well under 100 grams of carbs for the day. usually around 75

i went primal in feb 2010
    200lbs
    37% body fat
    38-40 waist

1 year to the day
    140lbs
    7.8% body fat
    29 waist

currently
    137lbs
    7% body fat
    29 waist

PrimalCon New York
    Thanks for that Jayson. Here is my food intake for yesterday with added fat and more protein added. any thoughts on this from you all:

Lunch:
    2 x chinese chicken thighs with skin
    small salad with mixed lettuce leaves, 2 x shallots, 4 x cherry tomatoes, half of avocado, table spoon of blue stilton cheese,Caesar dressing
    Fat 23g
    Protein 30.8g
    Carbs 6g
    Total Calories = 326 cal, I have admitted the Caesar dressing as not sure the quantity

Snack: 2x boiled eggs, 1 x avocado, 4 x cherry tomatoes, dash of tobasco
    Fat 36.1g
    Carbs 18.6g
    Protein 16.6
    Total Cal = 443

Dinner:
    1 x Filet steak cooked in 1 tbs spoon of lard, 2 x cups of Cauliflower, half avocado, table spoon of Stilton cheese
    Fat 52.4g
    Carbs 21.8g
    Protein 42.9g
    Total cal = 696

Worked night shift so had another meal at work , late dinner;
    9oz chicken breast,1tbs spoon of lard, 1 x green pepper, table spoon of a sundried tomato and olive paste.

Fat 29.6g
    Carbs 9.7g
    Protein 50g
    total Cal = 508

Total for day :
    59% fat = 124g
    10% carbs = 50g
    31% protein = 140.3
    total calories = 1,838

How does this look does this look as if Im on the right path, any guidance would be great,

Many thanks