Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: From bodybuilder routine to pb workout page

traintolive is offline Senior Member

From bodybuilder routine to pb workout

Hey guys!

I've done a bodybuilder routine so far -- 4 times a week, isolation exercises, as well as compound lifts.
    I prefer doing compound lifts, but am afraid I won't gain enough muscle from only those and without tricep kickbacks, curls and so on.
    PLUS I have no clue how to arrange the workout, so I train all my muscles during the week.

I would want to stick with these exercises:

Pullups
    Chinups
    Bench Press
    narrow Bench Press
    Lat Pulldowns
    Dips
    Squats
    Deadlift
    Pushups
    Hyperextensions
    Planks (and various other ab workouts)
    seated Cal Raises
    Leg Press
    Shoulder Press
    Bent Over Rowing (and variations on machines as well)
    Shrugs

Plus I don't think just SHoulder Press is enough for a shoulder workout.. what about the back and front of the shoulder? Butterfly, Dumbbell Front Raises, Dumbbell Upright Rows, Dumbbell Side Raises, etc.?
    Grok from Germany

Primal since End/Beginning of 2010/2011

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    For each workout, pick a compound squat, push, pull motion and do 3-5 sets of 5-8 reps.

I personally like:

Mon - Squat, Bench, Deads, Standing overhead press 3x5
    Tues - Core work (short workout) and stretching
    Wed - Hill sprints
    Th - Just walk and a stretch
    Fri - Power clean and press, weighted pullups, ring dips (or sometimes just pure bodyweight/plyo stuff like jump squats, muscleups, etc)
    Sa or Su - Yoga one day, other day is rest

I haven't done any isolated arm movements in 2 years and my arms look great. Heavy shoulder press, ring dips and yoga are plenty for shoulders.

You can sub walking, core, stretching, yoga with any of the stuff you like to do... like biking, swimming, pilates, hiking, etc.

Grafter is offline Senior Member
    My questions are:

1. What do you want how of lifting? To look uber buff? Since that will require roids (which I really don't recommend). To look toned? If so, what is your definition of toned?

2. How long have you been lifting? What has been your routine?

Quote Originally Posted by Grafter View Post
    My questions are:

1. What do you want how of lifting? To look uber buff? Since that will require roids (which I really don't recommend). To look toned? If so, what is your definition of toned?

2. How long have you been lifting? What has been your routine?

Well I wanna look something like that: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Bq59GiZEnL...death-race.jpg

I wanna have functional muscles, but they shouldn't look like "nothing" you know.. you should see them. I have been lifting on and off since I've been 13 I think, I am 18 now, different routines, but mostly bodybuilders.. 5x5, 3x8, 3x10, 3x12, 4x8, 4x10, 4x12 and so on. Tricep kicksbacks, bicep curls and so on, but I've always been a fan of compound lifts as well, though I've stumbled across deadlifts only a couple of months ago, I knew about them before, but couldn't get the technique right, until a trainer at the bodybuilding studio told me about it.
    Grok from Germany

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    The problem with this many exercises is that you'll struggle to keep the quality up over the session. Stick to heavy compound lifts - this is where you will develop strength and muscle, not in the isolation work. What are your deadlift, squat and press numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    The problem with this many exercises is that you'll struggle to keep the quality up over the session. Stick to heavy compound lifts - this is where you will develop strength and muscle, not in the isolation work. What are your deadlift, squat and press numbers?
    Deadlift maybe 60kg - 132lbs
    Squats about 75kg - 165lbs
    Bench Press about 70kg 154lbs
    Shoulder Press I am not sure.. about 30kg - 66lbs -- I do it with a barbell, BUT it's in a machine, with hooks.. sometimes I do it free with 2 barbells.
    Grok from Germany

You belong to a bodybuilding gym... so they prescribe you a bbing routine.

If you follow the routine I outline above and eat a lot following the primal guidelines.... you will look like that guy you posted.

What's more functional... tricept kickbacks or hill sprints? Biceps curls or deadlines? An ab crunch machine or a yoga class?

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    what's your height/weight, because those numbers aren't that big for having been lifting for a few years. I've been lifting heavy since the end of march and my numbers are:
    Deadlift: 200
    Squat 225
    Bench 165
    Press 95.

Not that those are huge numbers either, but it seems like you've been stalled at doing high rep low weight stuff. I'd pick up Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe and follow that plan for a while. You will put on muscle and get strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Reena View Post
    what's your height/weight, because those numbers aren't that big for having been lifting for a few years. I've been lifting heavy since the end of march and my numbers are:
    Deadlift: 200
    Squat 225
    Bench 165
    Press 95.

Not that those are huge numbers either, but it seems like you've been stalled at doing high rep low weight stuff. I'd pick up Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe and follow that plan for a while. You will put on muscle and get strong.
    I've been on and off training for several years. Done different training. Machines, free weights and then only crossfit or body weight workouts. I am 18rys old, 180cm and 73kg.
    Grok from Germany

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'd do starting strength... at 18 your numbers will skyrocket. You need some real strength.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast