Thread: Dairy page

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member

Dairy

Shop Now
    I've been primal 4 months, I've lost 29 lbs. I still have lots to go. From reading the blog and a lot of posts it seems that consuming more than a little dairy is discouraged. I'm not lacto-intolerant and I don't bloat or get gas from eating dairy. Mainly I eat yogurt, cheese and butter. I just don't like milk and only cook with it when the recipe calls for it. I want to continue losing weight but I need to know why dairy should be taken in moderation. If its about weight loss I might adapt but if its about stomach pain or bloating I don't have that issue.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I eat plenty of dairy (mostly cheese, butter, cream & kefir) & still lost the approx 14 lbs I needed to lose.

If it doesn't cause you inflammation or to overeat, then don't worry about it.

Grassfed dairy (and meat) is higher in CLA than conventional dairy and studies have shown that CLA can help you drop body fat.

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I eat plenty of dairy (mostly cheese, butter, cream & kefir) & still lost the approx 14 lbs I needed to lose.

If it doesn't cause you inflammation or to overeat, then don't worry about it.

Grassfed dairy (and meat) is higher in CLA than conventional dairy and studies have shown that CLA can help you drop body fat.
    Do you mean that calories, fat, whatever isn't the reason for the caution? I understand about grassfed but, for right now, its got to be plain old "off the shelf" at the market. You did mention causing me to overeat. Thats a wrinkle I didn't know about. What causes it? I can watch carefully and see how I react. I'm just concerned, since so many avoid dairy, that if I eat more than a little it could affect my weight loss. Thanks.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    I've been primal 4 months, I've lost 29 lbs. I still have lots to go. From reading the blog and a lot of posts it seems that consuming more than a little dairy is discouraged.
    Discouraged is probably a slight exaggeration. The PB position seems to be that it's a "gray area". Here's the full write-up:

The Definitive Guide to Dairy | Mark's Daily Apple

That's not exactly unfriendly to it, and maybe Mark is even a little more dairy-friendly than we he wrote that. I think he said in the blog post on teeth the other day that "hard cheese" was recommended if you wanted to have good teeth. That seems good advice to me: I think Ramiel Nagel—the dentist who's written a lot about healing tooth decay—has said that he regards "raw dairy" as key. (His book is on my list for reading soon, but as yet I've only seen bits). My guess would be that he means by that not that your teeth couldn't do fine without it—many people's have done—but that it's a high quality and readily-available source of some of the nutrients most needed for them (and yourself in general).

So, yeah, I'd go along with Dragonfly.

Mark's position (see link above) seems to be that dairy products aren't "out" but that it's best to stick to fermented products (properly aged cheese and yoghurt) and that goat's or sheep's may be better.