Thread: Eat your greens! Or . . . page

ShannonCC is offline Senior Member

Eat your greens! Or . . .

I am having a hard time eating greens. I know primal (and paleo) is big on eating "leaves" but I just don't like them.

Salad greens I can only make myself eat with a delicious, creamy dressing and even then, I don't like to eat it every day. I've always preferred my salads to be chunky veggies, like a mix of peppers, onion, tomato and cuke. If I get iceberg lettuce I have no problem eating it but then, that's not exactly the most nutritious thing and I might as well just eat the veggies I like.

I like cooked greens but they don't like me.

TMI alert - I had daily diarrhea for years (about a decade) before going primal (yes, I went to doctors and they all told me there was nothing wrong and it was stress). Now I cut the grains and it's gone - except when I eat a few items, one of which is cooked greens. So I can choke down raw spinach but if I cook it with fat and actually make it yummy, I run to the bathroom. (yet I can eat bacon, and fatty meat and be fine - go figure).

So ya know, I feel like I'm done. I'll have a salad when I feel like it, but I don't feel like making myself eat stuff I don't particularly like or that gives me the runs.

Anyone have any thoughts? What does everyone else eat?

Lewis is online now Senior Member
    Leave the spinach for awhile and try again later in a month—or a few months. Maybe your gut is damaged from excessive carbohydrates, infection, or whatever, and needs to recover before you can eat foods that most people should be able to eat.

You can get iron and folic acid from liver, vitamin C from oranges, and so on. No need to eat spinach, although it's a good food.

I do think my gut is damaged. I was ill for too long to just fix overnight. I've had stomach aches since I was a child (and my childhood was very stressful so ya know, it could very well be stress damage too), heartburn and diarrhea for the last decade. My body is so glad I finally ditched the grains, but it makes sense it will take awhile to heal completely (if it ever does).

I know most of the veggies I like are higher carb but I'll still be eating way lower carb than when I was eating grains, so I don't think it should be an issue. We'll see I guess.

Lewis is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonCC View Post
    I do think my gut is damaged. I was ill for too long to just fix overnight. I've had stomach aches since I was a child (and my childhood was very stressful so ya know, it could very well be stress damage too), heartburn and diarrhea for the last decade. My body is so glad I finally ditched the grains, but it makes sense it will take awhile to heal completely (if it ever does).

I know most of the veggies I like are higher carb but I'll still be eating way lower carb than when I was eating grains, so I don't think it should be an issue. We'll see I guess.
    You might find it worthwhile to have a look at Elaine Gottschall's Breaking the Vicious Cycle:

Amazon.com: Breaking the Vicious Cycle: Intestinal Health Through Diet (9780969276814): Elaine Gloria Gottschall: Books

That diet -- the SCD diet -- was specifically evolved for people with intestinal problems and is not so much theoretical but practical—comes through experience of working with those people. There's some very interesting theory that's been tacked on the back of it in an attempt to explain why the diet works, but the fact is that it does.

It certainly seems from Haas and Gottschall's work that some people whose gut villi have been damaged have difficulty digesting some complex carbohydrates and some sugars. That certainly could explain why you got relief from cutting out cereal grains. If your problems are similar to those of people that Gottscall's worked with you may need also to cut out starchy food like potatoes and yams and rigorously avoid anything with sucrose (table sugar) in. If people do that for around a year it seems that healing often takes place.

It would certainly be possible to eat the Primal Blueprint way in an SCD-style. You just couldn't -- temporarily -- have some of the things that the Primal Blueprint would allow.

Nutritionator is offline Senior Member
    Farmer's market fresh arugula. Peppery red+green lettuce. I can eat a salad made with this stuff every day without anything more than olive oil and some spices, and I usually do. Never really enjoyed salads until I started buying my veggies as fresh as possible, there's a huge difference in quality between that and what's in grocery stores. Support your local farms!
    My Paleo Project:

www.nutritionator.com

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    I love greens (and all vegetables, even beets) but you don't have to eat them. Just get a variety of colors of vegetables.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Veggies are overrated, IMO.

You can get all of your essentials if you eat all of the animal (bone broth, gelatin, organs, brains), and/or supplement, if you wish.

I use vegetables as condiments. My plate is usually 2/3 meat/dairy/eggs and 1/3 veggies (or less) by volume.

http://www.archevore.com/panu-weblog...egetables.html

And the gut healing info is great--it's just that you don't NEED to eat your greens if you don't want to.
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 06-05-2011 at 10:50 AM.

chia is offline Senior Member
    coconut oil is fabulous for healing the gut too... The Coconut Oil Miracle is a great read....

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Can you tolerate broccoli or cauliflower? What about swiss chard, or kale? Sweet potatoes?
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    You might find it worthwhile to have a look at Elaine Gottschall's Breaking the Vicious Cycle:

If your problems are similar to those of people that Gottscall's worked with you may need also to cut out starchy food like potatoes and yams and rigorously avoid anything with sucrose (table sugar) in. If people do that for around a year it seems that healing often takes place.
    Funny thing is, I checked out her info a few years back! But at the time I was still eating grains and her diet plan seemed too intimidating. I don't know what it is about primal, but it's been easy - and downright enjoyable - for me so far.

I'm already not eating potatoes and yams (been eating primal for over a month and I had one potato and one yam now that I think of it, but easy enough to cut out). I ate two pieces of 72% chocolate in that time and that's the only sugar I've had so again, pretty easy to cut out.

I'll check her book again and see what she says to do that I'm not already doing. Thanks

Arugla is one of the greens I like But again, not every day. I guess I'm just not a green lover.

And I already enjoy coconut oil straight out of the jar, lol! Thanks, I'll check that book out too.