Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sprinting Frequency page

DiscoStew is offline Junior Member

Sprinting Frequency

Hi all, quick question. I weight train regularly and would like to incorporate sprints into my weekly workout regime. I know sprinting is part of PB fitness but how often should one/I sprint: once a week? twice a week? etc

Thanks in advance,
    DS

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    I strength train 2x, do hills 1x per week. On other days, I walk, do yoga, stretch, do some core work, etc... nothing crazy.

Shamra Byrne Guest
    I usually spring 1x per week. If you are truly sprinting then doing it any more than once a week could actually overstress your body. Just make sure that when you do it you go all out and give it everything you've got!

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    I noticed that my first sprint 3 weeks ago i did from my house to the end of hte block and back. last week it was just 40 feet further.
    this week it was three times that to get the same effect..... How do i get faster not further?
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    How do i get faster not further?
    Shorter sprint length, 100% all-out effort, more rest between sprints. General protocol I tend to use when sprinting for...

Speed
    Total distance sprinted: ~400-500 yards/meters
    Max distance per sprint: 40-50 yards/meters
    Full recovery between sprints (time depends on person, usually 1:30-2:00 in my case)
    100% effort each sprint

Conditioning
    Total distance: ~1000-1200 yards/meters
    Distance per sprint: 75+ yards/meters (need to work upward slowly, no need to go higher than 400m and in that case, 2 or 3 400s will do just fine; keep the total distance in the above range)
    Walk back to start point for rest period
    Not quite 100% effort (closer to 90%) per sprint
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

Aly
    Aly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoStew View Post
    I know sprinting is part of PB fitness but how often should one/I sprint: once a week? twice a week? etc
    Mark's eBook Primal Blueprint Fitness recommends you walk at least 3-5 hours a week, and recommends you set aside four days to do put in this walking. Two more days are spent doing HIIT or the WOW--your Lift Heavy Things. And the last day, a single day, is devoted to sprinting for about ten minutes or less. So just one day is devoted to your sprinting, and it's not even that long. I do mine in the early morning so the burn will wear off and can consider Wednesday (my sprinting day) an "off-day."

Nicator is offline Senior Member
    Nothing more primal than skimboarding once a week. Interval sprints combined with lots of play and FUN!!!!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Once a week hill sprints... sometimes but rarely I'll do second session but a shorter one. My once a week is 10 uphill dashes. I walk until I kind of catch my breath then I go again.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the sprinting tips Velocity. If my shin splint ever heals I will keep them in mind. Do you think it would be effective to focus on speed for a month or so and then switch to conditioning to get the benefits of both? Or would longer than a month be better when sprinting only once a week?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Thanks for the sprinting tips Velocity. If my shin splint ever heals I will keep them in mind. Do you think it would be effective to focus on speed for a month or so and then switch to conditioning to get the benefits of both? Or would longer than a month be better when sprinting only once a week?
    What are you wearing when running? I haven't had shin splints since switching from regular running shoes to my trusty swimming pool shoes, or whatever they're called. Barefoot Ted (of Born to Run fame) suggested them on his site as a starter to barefoot running, but I never made the full transition to barefoot. Buy a pair of snug swim shoes, see that they don't have a ton of padding at the bottom, take the insole out and start out on slow jogs to get your feet accustomed to them. Be ready for nice calf growth too.

I'm talking about these things:

Added benefit: cheap and long lasting.
    some downsides: smell, if you can get some with mesh on top it might be more breathable, but I just keep mine outside.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast