Thread: Just kicking the tires and getting started page

Antmuzic is offline Junior Member

Just kicking the tires and getting started

Hello Primal friends!

I'm new here and considering going Primal. I live in the Chicago area and have seen my weight go up and up as I've gotten older. I had a brief period of low weight during a chronic cardio phase a few years back, but was not able to sustain that weight.

Earlier this year, I read Tim Ferris's book, "The Four Hour Body" and adopted his slo-carb plan and made significant progress, dropping 25 pounds pretty easily. Ferris led me to a great interest in health and diet. I read Taubes and eventually found PB and this community. Using some ideas from Primal helped break through a weigh plateau, and now I'm considering going "all in".

I can tell already that I'll be challenged to get enough calories and the idea of loading up on fats really doesn't sit well with me yet (family history of heart disease and diabetes). Plus I have the years of conventional wisdom aligned against the idea.

Did anyone else have trouble starting out or similar feelings?

Anyway, you guys seem to have a great community here and I'm happy to join.

Looking forward to it.

-adam

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Don't be shy Adam. Go for it! You won't regret it.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

peril is offline Senior Member
    Love the moniker Adam. Guessing you're about 50

It is hard for many to go against a lifetime of contrary advice. I did it by reading constantly until I was convinced that inflammation underlies most of the diseases of civilisation and that sugar, most grains and vegetable oils are causes of inflammation. Do the research then dive in
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

50? Not quite yet, heh! Only 37.

Thanks for the support everyone. I am on day one full Primal. I'm tracking everything to make sure I don't undereat. Having already cut all complex carbs besides beans, I am way ahead. Now it's really just a matter of replacing those calories with something else, which is so far a lot of nuts.

Wish me luck!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    You need to go very easy on the beans and nuts. Beans once in a while. Nuts Ok for a small snack. Macadamia nuts best.

Many of us were uneasy about the fat. (Many of us were converted by bacon. Hehe.) At least get olive and coconut oil and avocado. If you read around in MDA, you will probably become convinced that you need fats.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well my first day, I blew out my carb goal of 75g but stayed under 100 (99g!). Clearly I'm a rookie. The green beans at dinner did me in. Primal is much harder than 4 Hour Body slo-carb - tracking nutrients is essential - at least for me.

Thanks for the tips.

-adam