Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motivation this Fall/Winter page

CJ4400 is offline Member

Primal Fuel

I don't know about you ya'll but this dreary, cold, sunless, winter weather has definitely affected my workout habits. I'm indoors way more often than I should be, over-layered and in bed when I'm at home, and absolutely un-motivated to work out!

I even noticed that I am craving more carby foods such as sweet potatoes and even more fats than I normally eat. What gives?

What do you guys do to help fight this change in weather? Any supplements? Or mantras event?

Any suggestions for winter sport activities we could try?? Maybe a new hobby would help..

RogerDeRok is offline Member

Well, cold weather certainly will increase your appetite since your body is burning more energy to keep warm. I too have noticed that it's caused me to be very unmotivated to work out at all. I try to counter it by not using my heater very often (unless my daughter is at my house) and making sure that even though I'm hungrier, I eat the same amount as before.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member

Vitamin D3 seems to help a lot of people, or maybe replace your fish oil with cod liver oil for the winter... not even sure if your taking fish oil, but good CLO has vitamins D and A.

Besides getting it through supplements, I would try to get as much sun as comfortably possible.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

I've splurged on some new indoor workout equipment (pull-up bar, etc) and thrown some variety into my bodyweight workouts (how many squats, pushups, and situps can I do in 15 minutes?)

Long walks on dark, winter evenings are surprisingly enjoyable if you bundle up properly. Aslo, my SO is moving to a mountain town so I'm going to pick up some alpine (aka cross-country) skis soon.

You could always get a puppy.

As for food, I'm enjoying a series of low-carb but wintery foods -- slow-cooker beef stew, pulled pork, etc.

I've also been fasting quite late into the morning, eating breakfast around 9 or 10am, which pushes my other meals late enough in the day that there's not much time to be tempted by snacks before bed.

Drinking tea with a healthy dollop of coconut milk is very satisfying and warming, too.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

62shelby Guest

I was just thinking the same thing, I am in A2 Michigan, and really want to get out and make the most of it. Indoors I am going to give fencing a try, its something I have always wanted to try, plus I want to get out and x country ski and snow shoe.

CJ4400 is offline Member

Good suggestions! I do like the idea of an indoor pull up bar...

As far as supplements, I take a fish oil supplement and will look into switching to cod liver oil for a while.

Hmmm, maybe I should just book a trip to the Caribbean!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I've been in a fall funk too. I'm getting better I think. Some Vit D might help though. I'm having trouble getting a good workout too. Between all the work, and the yucky weather, it's just not happening. I need a more physically demanding job. :P

CJ4400 is offline Member

Whew! Glad to know it's not just me. I've been especially feeling it this week!! Ugh!

Let's all work on motivating each other and changing all this starting...NOW!!!

eva
    eva is offline Senior Member

even though its a constantly gray, wet and cold time of the year around here now and on top of that im going through a major change (maybe positive but at the moment...cant see that yet) in personal life, i find myself not getting as blue as expected- i would like to think the massive d3 doses and fishoil that ive been taking have something to do with it. Plus some emotional stress is a great diet- im never hungry when emotionally stressed

challenge yourself
    i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

Iceskater is offline Junior Member

Like BG, i find it really helps to have a pull up bar or kettlebell at home (then there is little excuse NOT to fit in a workout). If im really unmotivated, I force a p90x dvd in, and its much easier once Ive gotten started.

Lucky you, eva, emotional stress usually causes the opposite response in others

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast