Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diet Alone versus including exercise page

JillH410 is offline Junior Member

Question Diet Alone versus including exercise

Primal Fuel
    Hello!

I've recently read The Primal Blueprint and have already started changing my eating habits. Prior to reading it, I was in the thinking that whole grains were fine. I also worked out about 4-5 times a week, but still couldn't get as lean or as "cut" as I wanted (I'm a female, so I'm not sure cut is the right word).

My question is... I'm having surgery next week so won't be able to work out for about a month or so. Should I notice a difference in my shape/physique just by changing my diet alone?

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JillH410 View Post
    Should I notice a difference in my shape/physique just by changing my diet alone?
    Yes.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    You can manage your weight just fine with the right diet alone. Exercise helps with fitness.

JillH410 is offline Junior Member
    Thank you for the replies!

It's more about just managing my weight as I'm not overweight, but in my eyes, I can stand to lose about 10 lbs (I'm 5'5" and weigh around 138 with approximately 21% body fat). Just wanted to make sure I wouldn't get discourage by not seeing any results because I can't incorporate the exercise in for a bit.

AnneArchy is offline Senior Member
    Do you have a lot of weight to lose? Like 20lbs or more? The last 5-10 pounds to get off would probably require a lot more exercise and stricter dieting, but of there's more then ketosis will take care of the weight loss pretty quickly. I lost 30lbs on Atkins years ago and hardly worked out.

AnneArchy is offline Senior Member
    Oops you replied as I was writing my first response! I think you could get down to 130 ok with diet alone. Getting to 120-125 might take some more effort though. I'm 5'5" 126 and started PB where you did at 138-140. It wasn't easy for a long time getting past 130, now I've been under that for a few months.

Shamra Byrne Guest
    You can absolutely lose weight and change your body shape with diet alone! In fact, changing your physique is about 80% (or more!) related to diet. Exercise is only about 20% of the equation for weight loss. Check out this cool video of Brad Pilon running on a treadmill versus Craig Ballantyne eating pizza to see just how ineffective exercise is when pitted against a bad diet (and remember this goes the other way too - a good diet can somewhat make up for lack of exercise).

However, you will not get in shape with a good diet and no exercise, you will only get thin. For a lean appearance you need to exercise and maintain muscle mass.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JillH410 View Post
    Thank you for the replies!

It's more about just managing my weight as I'm not overweight, but in my eyes, I can stand to lose about 10 lbs (I'm 5'5" and weigh around 138 with approximately 21% body fat). Just wanted to make sure I wouldn't get discourage by not seeing any results because I can't incorporate the exercise in for a bit.
    Exercising doesn't burn that much extra fat. Just think about how much time one exercises vs not exercise. If exercising was required to burn off fat, you'd never make it. Burning off fat is easy: keep serum insulin levels low.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    I lost 120 lb in about a year with no exercise. I tried riding a bicycle a few times a day to speed it up and it backfired. I couldnt believe it so I stopped, lost some more, and tried again. I repeated this 6 times, same thing each time.

jandge is offline Senior Member
    In six months, I've lost 14lbs of body fat and gained 7lbs of muscle. And I don't exercise what so freaking ever right now (or before starting primal), only do a bit of walking across my college campus everyday - and really it's not that much overall.

Good luck with your surgery!
    Last edited by jandge; 06-04-2011 at 11:06 PM.

Do yourself a favor and become your own savior.
    Congenital Hypothyroid
    CW: 225lbs SW: 245lbs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast