Thread: Waking up and eating in middle of night terrible habbit page

ebolus101 is offline Junior Member

Waking up and eating in middle of night terrible habbit

Hey everyone I was so stoked off the amount of help from my last post I thought I'll come here for a little help. I eat primal (minus the fruit because of IBS issues). But I find myself waking up in the middle of the night just craving food (sometimes carbs, sometimes fats, sometimes proteins). The thing is though I am not HUNGRY physically. It has become a very bad habit and I am sure it has jacked up my circadian rhythm. Does anyone have any idea what this could be. I have heard of night eating syndrome and this seems almost on dot with it, but the food cravings are a little different. Also I am sure I eat enough during the day. Any help will greatly be appreciated.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Magnesium citrate 400-600 mg one hour before bed should help you get better sleep and nip the cravings in the bud.

Doesn't magnesium citrate have laxative effects? Or is that in high dosages?

Depends on the person. Many folks are fine in the range I suggested--and there are other forms, if citrate doesn't work for you. Try starting with 200 mg and see how you feel.

I am familiar with the effects it has on sleep, but how does it work in regards to cravings?

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Dragonfly on using a good magnesium supplement to help with a good night's rest. Also, how long have you been doing PB for? Just wondering if you are still in the "carb flu" part of the diet. Do you have cravings any other time of the day or is it only in the middle of the night?
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

nutritionut is offline Member
    Try eating something like and more light and gut friendly like broth, yogurt, or saurkraut. Or quickly drink a glass of water to fill you up.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have been eating primal for about 6-7 months and am pass the "flu". The cravings are almost always at night.