Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would greatly appreciate some help and guidance please! page

keepfit1982 is offline Junior Member

Would greatly appreciate some help and guidance please!

Shop Now
    Hey there,

Im 28, male and have been eating primally now since around February this year. I exercise a lot and i am just feeling a little confused about a few things. My weight initially dropped quite quickly and i am now down to 65KG's total body weight with a body fat of 14%, im 5, 10 tall.

I will outline what i basically eat and what exercise i do and if people could guide me a little as i am struggling a little, partly on dropping those extra few body fat percentages to really get the definition i would like but i would also like to put on some muscle which i find very very difficult especially in the pecs and arms (back comes on a treat easily though!)

A usual day of eating for me is:

breakfast: mixed nuts and fruit (either tinned pineapple or raspberries or blackberries and sometimes banana) and on training days a protein shake with zero carbs.

lunch: 2 chicken breasts with mixed veg (1-2 cups of veg)

dinner: steak with coleslaw and salad or something similar.

i normally (especially on days i workout) have another chicken breast in there and another portion of mixed nuts and fruit. When i say mixed nuts i mean organic ones like brazil nuts, walnuts, hazelnuts, not peanuts. I always have a protein shake after training as well.

training is something like this:

Monday (gym 4 sets of either 6 reps, 8 reps or 10 reps per exercise changes each week)

bench press
    squat
    pull ups

Wednesday

rock climbing for 45 minutes

Friday (gym 4 sets of either 6 reps, 8 reps or 10 reps per exercise changes each week)

shoulder press
    dips
    rows

I also have just started doing pilates for balancing out my body and the stretching side of things which i will do between one and two times a week counting towards my play time. I know that some will say wheres the sprinting but my job means i walk a lot i tend to do around 3 hours of walking every day and thats with almost a stone of extra weight to carry about.

What i would really like is if people can look at what i am doing and tell me what they think i should do better for dropping those extra body fat percentages and also to get some muscle on my frame. Any other information you want im happy to provide and although i have a very distorted view of my body id be happy to provide photos if people needed them to gauge what i should do.

Also anyone that has had success with building some good muscle on primal eating i would love to know what your average day food consumption looked like and also what your training schedule was.

I thank everyone in advance for any help or feedback and trust me if you can help you would make this guy a happy chappy im fed up feeling so unhappy about my body.

denbro01 is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you need more food. More fuel!! I'm sure more experienced members will chime in.

i think your right if im honest i just dont feel like i really have this whole how to eat thing sorted out i worry about what to eat and how much, have you been doing it for long? have you seen good results?

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Dried fruit has a lot of sugar. Try having a veggie omelet for breakfast.

sorry arthur999 when i say tinned pineapple its basically normal pineapple in its own juice but in a tin for storage just so it keeps longer than a fresh pineapple in your fruit bowl i dont eat any dried fruit at all for the reason you have stated. but i will try the omelet for breakfast though thankyou

JenCat is offline Senior Member
    More red meat!

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Besides cutting down on the nuts and fruit... adding eggs... I'd say you could also add a leg exercise to Fri workout and give it time.

Hammermill is offline Member
    If you haven't read this, read it, and if you have read it, read it again:How to Eat According to the Primal Blueprint | Mark's Daily Apple .

There's a few links after that article as well that should help steer you in the right direction. Personally, I eat protein at every meal and if you are 65 kg (roughly 143 pounds) you should eat around 140-150 grams of protein spread out evenly over your meals.

I like how you have a mix of strength training and "cardio" (rock climbing looks fun, I should try it sometime), and you're starting to incorporate pilates (another thing I should incorporate).

How long have you been strength training? And how long have you been following your current workout?
    Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.
    -Paul the Apostle, 1 Cor 6:19-20

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Intelligent people use pounds, not kilograms.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

tommyho1 is offline Member
    i have made about 6kg in lean gains in about 3 months by eating 80/90% primal. i am a naturally skinny guy, starting at 76kg, now up to 82kg.

from my experience, i can only suggest that you need to EAT MORE, LIFT MORE. for the eating side, i put awaqy about 200g of protein a day atleast, mainly through 4/6 eggs, 2 chicken breasts, 200g tuna and a shake. put a load of veggies, nuts and fruit in there (bananas are a pretty good source of good carbs for me) and you should be good to go. you are in the tricky situaiton where you want to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. have you tried IFing?

as for the lifting, without sounding synical, do you lift to the very max of your capability. if you are only doing 3 exercises in the gym, twice a week, then you will have to be putting some serious force through those muscles if you are going to get any growth. from my experience, i am will get told off by some people in here i am sure, i think you need to do a few of the "better" isolation exercises to really give the muscles a good seeing to. do some dumbell chest presses, do some inclined chest presses. hit the shoulders harder with some lateral/front raises, get your triceps screaming with some cable pulldowns. i used to only do basic compound lifts and, although i did notice some slight increase in strength, i could not get the increase in size that i was after.

one final point, and i really will get shouted at in here now, perhaps try a two month cycle of a reputable creatine supplement. people will say its not real lean gains if you use creatine, but i disagree. used in the right way, and for a short period of time, it can really help out. you will be able to lift more, and hence put the muscles under a bigger load, and hence grow stronger in size and strength.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast