Thread: Pushups and overhead press page

johnnyq is offline Junior Member

Question Pushups and overhead press

Shop Now
    Hi everyone,

Started primal blueprint a month ago. Already lost 14 lb., 4 on a cruise ship.

Started LHT at the lowest level since I have not done this type of workout in years.

I have a question: Don't the pushups and handstands hit the same muscle? Are they redundant?

Thanks

Johnny

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    There is some crossover but I'd say it's more important to think of them as movements rather than muscles. Both movements are important so keep doing them both.

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    Ehhh, I'd say handstands and head-/handstand pushups are more shoulder-dominant, while regular pushups are chest-dominant. Like CP said, there is some crossover, but nowhere significant enough to be redundant.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

Shamra Byrne Guest
    I agree with Velocity. Regular pushups will place more force on your pectorals and handstand pushups on your delts.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyq View Post
    I have a question: Don't the pushups and handstands hit the same muscle? Are they redundant?
    Just do them both at the same time...

Doddibot is offline Senior Member
    You can raise your legs in a pushup to decrease how much your legs can help, but once you go above a certain angle you'll be hitting the upper portion of the pectoralis muscle and the anterior deltoid, which are also worked in a handstand pushup. Both exercises will hit the triceps though.
    "Thanks to the combination of meat, calcium-rich leaf foods, and a vigorous life, the early hunter-gatherers were robust, with strong skeletons, jaws, and teeth." - Harold McGee, On Food And Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen

Toefuzz is offline Member
    I had the same thought while starting my Primal Fitness routine for the first time earlier today. All I can say is that I'm wiped all over so for now I'll keep at it

ikaika is online now Senior Member
    THAT KID IN THE VIDEO!!! Awesome!
    Little Saiyan