Thread: Water kefir - anyone make it?

Water kefir - anyone make it?

Shop Now
    Anyone here know much about water kefir? I want to find out if it is as nutritious as milk kefir - and how much sugar is left after fermentation?

Also, are there any methods of increasing the mineral content of the kefir? i've seen one recipe which added lemon and banana - and another with sultanas or dry fig. Any tips would be much appreciated - my kefir grains should arrive next week!

Hi there - I know this is an older post but I too have been wanting to try water kefir since I don't consume any dairy.
    Let me just say two things - Awesome ! and Easy !
    I ordered my grains on ebay about a month ago and they arrived in less than a week along with instructions - but I also looked online and found some additional info and a recipe for "ginger beer"
    So basically I just put my handful of grains in a 1 Litre glass jar along with spring water, a slice of lemon, about 2 tbsp coconut sugar and 1 tsp of baking soda
    Apparently you can add an egg shell and other things for mineral content to it but I started with that.
    They are already growing and once fermented (2 days in my cool, dark pantry) it bubbles a little bit and smells really nice but slightly 'acidic' - I strain the liquid into another clean jar, add some fresh sliced ginger, a new slice of lemon and put it in the fridge. It is delicious.
    Then I just start again with the grains - they are at the point now where I can probably give a handful away to someone or start another jar
    I have noticed my digestion has improved - I try to eat some natural sauerkraut and kimchi but I don't think I was getting enough probiotics until I started the water kefir.
    I am going to try new types of batches once I split this one up.
    Hope this helps!

PS There is no sweet taste at all - not sure if any of the sugar is left but since it's coconut sugar I don't really mind - I don't eat any sugar at all so I can usually tell if I've had some and I don't notice anything after a glass of the ginger kefir

Trying this out tonight, thanks! Wondering what the baking soda is for? I got a little nervous when I added it to my coconut sugar water with lemon juice and it reacted a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldstar View Post
    Trying this out tonight, thanks! Wondering what the baking soda is for? I got a little nervous when I added it to my coconut sugar water with lemon juice and it reacted a bit.
    SOmetimes I put the baking soda in, sometimes I don't. I THINK it is to increase the alkalinity, but don't know for sure! And apparently putting in finely ground eggshell is a good way to get a load of minerals in the kefiir too.

Ditched the first batch and went with storebought coconut water, some slices of dried ginger and a few lemon slices. Turned out delicious. Trying it with pineapple flavored coconut water next.

Shop Now
    Update: I like the coconut kefir ok, but when it's mixed with my storebought gingerberry kombucha it is totally awesome! My new favorite "soda".