Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drinking page

thaijinx is offline Senior Member

Drinking

Primal Fuel
    By far the most difficult thing for me, now almost 2 weeks in, is knowing what to drink! I'm trying to reduce / eliminate refined carbs, sugars and grains... So...

Fruit juices is off the menu, and sodas / diet sodas are out. I can't have my usual soda water with syrup, and I've never been a milk drinker. I'm not real keen on coffee since I can't have sugar in it! Beer is off limits, along with all alcohol.

Which leaves...

• tea (black - white - green - herbal)
    • water
    • soda with fresh lime/lemon juice
    • coconut water

I'm kinda bored of those, and feel sometimes that they can be a bit.... blah...

I feel that the most difficult thing, by far, for me, is giving up my sugar laden drinks! Does Anyone else feel the same?

Or do you have any alternatives for healthy thirst quenching beverages?

SugarBaby is offline Senior Member
    Just keep at it. In Mindless Eating (I think), the author talked about how a person will learn to like something if they keep eating it. I know I used to find licorice disgusting, but my husband loved the stuff, and after a while it seemed less nasty, then eventually okay, until I found it nice. The brain is very good at adapting. Keep it up for a month, and you will find this the new norm. I love all the variety in teas, and hot or cold, make these the bulk of my drinks. Once in a great while, a Miller Liter when we're our with friends.
    WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I never really had this problem. Once I learned how much sugar is in a soda and how bad it is for you, I had no problem cutting it out. You can just power through it and it'll be your new norm. However, if you need something to help you transition, I like SugarBaby's advice. Some teas are so flavorful that they need no sweetener. Try to find a nice loose leaf variety if you can. Or a really cheap herbal one that sounds sweet-tasting (just make sure it doesn't actually have sweeteners added).

PatrickF is offline Senior Member
    Make yourself some soup.

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    re: herbal teas - i think the Yogi brand teas are really tasty. They're herbal (no caffeine) and they are really flavorful. Even better than Celestial Seasonings!

The Yogi teas are expensive in WF but i found them cheaper online at Lucky Vitamin.

incognito is offline Junior Member
    any of the herbal teas iced are delicious

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Truthfully, I use artificially sweetened drinks. I hold myself to one a day max. Some days I don't have any at all. It is a personal choice as part of my 20%, and it helps me keep on track.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Agreeing with the others about the herbal teas, especially iced. You can get an iced tea maker from Mr Coffee for $17 if you look around a bit. Celestial Seasonings has some great herbal teas, like Black Cherry Berry, and I don't add any sweetener. BF does, but he's also not Paleo, so his taste is very different than mine. He needs some serious sugar still (but I'm working on him...)

Another good thing is sparkling mineral water. Plain Perrier seriously tastes like there's flavoring in it (the ones that are flavored have print so tiny I can't read it, so I'm iffy on those). It's a bit spendy, though. Crystal Geyser has lemon or lime flavored sparkling water that's almost plain water, but it tastes great, and it's pretty cheap straight from the grocery store.
    Last edited by RitaRose; 06-04-2011 at 08:41 AM.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

alexgrace is offline Member
    When I first went primal, I found myself craving sparkling mineral water. My husband bought some San Pellegrino, and now I find a prefer a glass of that to a glass of wine. I think it might be something to do with the mineral content of the water; there's something in it that my body needs ... possibly potassium?

So I would say, a good sparkling mineral water tastes very different from other cheaper types and maybe you could give that a try.

But sparkling water is now my main drink (I just can't get on with herbal and fruit teas somehow), and it can be very cheap -- our local supermarket sells a value brand for 16p a bottle.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by alexgrace View Post
    There's something in it that my body needs ... possibly potassium?
    Could be any number of minerals, maybe magnesium also. I really think that I was deficient in magnesium. I used to be able to eat 2-3 squares of dark (100%) chocolate in a day, but once I started drinking some mineral water and especially once I started supplementing with magnesium, I rarely desire more than 1/2 a square a day and often skip it all together.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast