Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My cute husband - dog food page

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

We've been feeding our dog her regular grainy kibble for breakfast but have switched to giving her raw meat w/bones for dinner ... and when we run out of this kibble we'll get grain-free kibble for the mornings.

My husband was just feeding her and I heard:

*scooop*

*excited dog sounds*

*food pours in bowl*

"Don't worry Zora! We'll get you some grain-free food soon!"

*chomp chomp chomp*

Aw, my husband is so darling. I love that he's embracing this.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Aww bless him! Just out of interest, how is Zora doing on "PB"?

Zora's only been getting meat dinners for about a week but she LOVES it.

Can't say she's primal yet because of her grainy breakfasts, but I'm sure she'll take to it well.

I'm hoping it will improve her teeth (they're not bad at all but she does get a little plaque on the outsides of her top molars) and her breath (also not horrid but could be better).

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

RogerDeRok is offline Member

I don't think I can afford to put my dogs on a strictly primal diet, but I'm definitely going to start feeding them better dog food from now on. It's been the plan for some time, but I'm financially strapped right now.

It might not be as bad as you think... her normal food is about $1/pound, and the grain-free is $1.50/pound if you get a good deal. BUT the grain-free is more nutrient-dense so they don't need as much so a pound will last longer.

Also, some cuts of meat can be really cheap too... we've been getting her turkey tails because it's the cheap "scraps" available right now. We're going to ask the butcher if he has any other scraps or organs he could give us for cheap.

I figure if I pour some cod liver oil ( a Tbsp or so) on her grain-free kibble in the morning it will help her get the Omega 3:6 back in balance from eating the conventional meat.

I really think it might cost an extra 10-20 dollars a month, Tops to feed her this way.

RogerDeRok is offline Member

What's the name and brand of your grain free food?

the brand is Wellness... the one I'm going to try anyway. There are other grain-free brands out there though.

Katt is offline Senior Member

I feed my dogs Innova Evo. It's grain free as well. We did feed them a raw diet and they loved it, but it's expensive and we switched back to the Evo.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member

We've just started using the Wellness Core too. It seems great. We tried Evo before and his stools never firmed up. Taste of the Wild was good for good stools, but he didn't seem like he liked it much.

musajen is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Has anyone tried the Blue Buffalo brand of dog/cat food? I've got cats and want to switch to something more primal (can't believe that soy is in most kibble blends). Blue Buffalo has a mix for cats that is based on the diet of a lynx but it's $30 for a 12lb bag (eek!). I'm going to check into some of the other brands you've all mentioned too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast