Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What about green beans? page

Aly
    Aly is offline Senior Member

What about green beans?

Primal Fuel
    Quick question: the Primal Blueprint specifically slashes out the category of "beans" but for some reason, up until today, I've always made some kind of exception for green beans without even thinking about it. Are green beans allowed under the Primal Blueprint?

Rapunzel is offline Member
    I'm going to be a rebel here and say this....If you feel just as good not eating green beans as you do eating them, then go forth and raid as many green bean vines as you can.

That might not be the popular opinion among 'primals' because Mr. Grok probably didn't have access to them. However, when looking at green beans vs (for instance) black beans, the difference is interesting (links for information used included).

For a cup:
    Calories (the FORBIDDEN WORD): Green beans have 34, black beans have 227.
    Carbs: Green beans have 8, black beans have 41.
    Protein: Green beans have 2, black beans have 15.
    Fat: Green beans have 0, black beans have 1.

Here's my thought process (even potentially faulty thought process): Black beans (like most beans we come across) are fairly starchy. Green beans on the other hand are fairly fibrous.

If you want to be a SUPER STRICT Grok (nothing wrong with that), don't eat them.

But if you're like me and you love them sauteed with chili paste, garlic, and ginger.....eat 'em.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    I have to check out a link referenced detailing phytic acid percentages pertaining to certain food.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapunzel View Post
    I'm going to be a rebel here and say this....If you feel just as good not eating green beans as you do eating them, then go forth and raid as many green bean vines as you can.

That might not be the popular opinion among 'primals' because Mr. Grok probably didn't have access to them. However, when looking at green beans vs (for instance) black beans, the difference is interesting (links for information used included).

For a cup:
    Calories (the FORBIDDEN WORD): Green beans have 34, black beans have 227.
    Carbs: Green beans have 8, black beans have 41.
    Protein: Green beans have 2, black beans have 15.
    Fat: Green beans have 0, black beans have 1.

Here's my thought process (even potentially faulty thought process): Black beans (like most beans we come across) are fairly starchy. Green beans on the other hand are fairly fibrous.

If you want to be a SUPER STRICT Grok (nothing wrong with that), don't eat them.

But if you're like me and you love them sauteed with chili paste, garlic, and ginger.....eat 'em.
    +1
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Ryokumuji is offline Senior Member
    Well, on the Primal Blueprint Shopping List green beans are listed under the vegetable section so I figured they'd be okay. I like green beans myself.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryokumuji View Post
    Well, on the Primal Blueprint Shopping List green beans are listed under the vegetable section so I figured they'd be okay. I like green beans myself.
    Yep, the Primal Blueprint Shopping List in the back of the Guide to Modern Foraging booklet handed out at PrimalCon specifically includes green beans. I think the consensus is that a bean is fine to eat if you can pick it of the vine and eat it raw with no soakage required. Thus green beans, snow peas, sugar snap peas etc. are fine.

Buttercup is offline Senior Member
    You can pry my jar of dilly beans out of my cold dead hands.
    The Paleo Periodical
    It's not a Diet. It's a lifestyle.

Korga is offline Member
    What about corn on the cob?

Shamra Byrne Guest
    I would think that green beans would be fine since they are not really a legume but rather a vegetable. The name is a little misleading, but since they are vegetables I would think they'd be find.

avelin is offline Senior Member
    Corn is a grain - so that's a no
    Evolutionary. Ideology that fits biology

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast