Thread: Cholesterol Too Low....Griff Where You At?!?! page

PeaceMachineGun is offline Junior Member

Cholesterol Too Low....Griff Where You At?!?!

Shop Now
    So, I've come to an interesting predicament, one that is the opposite of what most people experience in terms of their cholesterol numbers. My cholesterol is way too low. 113 is my total number to be exact. Now, why this is a problem, I'm sure I don't have to explain to you guys, but in case you're completely in the dark, Cholesterol is THE building block of the hormones in your body, along with a myriad other functions it serves. Here's the full breakdown from my lab:

CHOLESTEROL - 113
    TRIGS - 92
    HDL CHOLESTEROL - 53
    NON HDL - 60
    LDL CHOLESTEROL - 42
    VLDL - 15
    CHOL/HDL RATIO - 2.1

Now, the problem I'm running into is that I've been taking straight cholesterol pills 3 times a day at meals to try and help raise this number, for about 3 months(took the last month off bc I ran out of money, but I've resumed in the last week) and the total number actually went down from 117!!! I'm not fully primal by any means, but I eat animal fat and protein at almost every meal, ghee everyday, coconut milk everyday, bacon every other day, bison almost every day, etc. I searched google to see if it would yield any interesting results or ideas on how to raise cholesterol levels, much to my chagrin. So I'm turning to you guys. Any ideas? Also, I'm fairly certain I'm allergic to eggs because every time I eat them I feel like I get whooping cough, although I'm still waiting on a complete food sensitivity panel(ELISA) to rule out food allergies.

You should know my Thyroid is under-performing with a TSH of 4.07 and my iron levels(ferritin) are low, coming in at 52.

Thanks!!!

Clark
    The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it.

-George Carlin

mwok86 is offline Senior Member
    If you're eating low carbs, then how do you have such a high trig level?? I thought primal was supposed to bring it down a lot.

PeaceMachineGun is offline Junior Member
    I'm not necessarily eating low carbs, moderate carbo consumption is what I would define it as. Also, my trigs are low-normal at 92 so I don't quite understand what you're saying.
    The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it.

-George Carlin

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I think what he is trying to say is that a lot of paleo dieters who eat VLC tend to have trigs that range from 30-50. But since you are moderate on carbs yours is a bit higher.

Also a good ratio that people watch is Trigs/HDL which tend to point at the direction of your LDL particle size. The smaller the ratio, the more large bouyant (healthy) your LDL is, and the higher the ratio the smaller dense (unhealthy) your LDL is. Typically people who follow strict paleo have a ratio below 1.0 or even 0.5
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Interesting... I am not familiar with this and it must be pretty rare. Am I right? What do your doctors say the cause might be? Do you have any medical conditions other than this? How old are you and how long have you had this issue with your cholesterol? How long have you been eating mostly primal? More background info will be needed to give you any kind of advice/suggestions/possible reasons. Thanks for sharing. I will be interested to learn more and read what others have to say.

Waskydiver is offline Senior Member
    Since cholestorol is produced by the liver, I'd be interested in seeing if there are any markers for liver disease. But, you should be getting enough dietary cholesterol. Hyperthyroid can be ruled out.

I would be looking for malabsorbsion issues. Might be worth a shot to try a nice probiotic. But, me, I'd be looking for medical advice first, then nutritional.