Thread: How much red meat per week and what happens when you tire of the same? page

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member

How much red meat per week and what happens when you tire of the same?

Shop Now
    Right now I'd say I eat red meat about 4-5 times a week. The rest of the time is chicken or pork (usually in the form of bacon, pork chop or pork sausages) except for maybe 1 or 2 days I eat some fish. But yeah, basically red meat and chicken right? Is this truly "healthy"? I will say I'm not getting all my meat from organic places as we don't have them much around here and budget is an issue.

Here's my idea....cut my meat consumption in half, still have it with meals but not as much, and add in more veggies to supplement. Will I gain weight back that I've lost? I'm just honestly tired of all the meat. I eat eggs too mind you but usually with meat like chicken and such. So what's the solution?

Thanks!

P.S. - I'm not a former vegetarian or anything.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I eat red meat as often as I can and 90% of the time it's conventionally raised. Nothing wrong with lowering meat consumption and upping the veggies as long as you're meeting your protein needs. Remember the PB food pyramid has veggies as supplying most of the bulk of the diet (at least by volume; most calories should be coming from fat). If anything this will probably lead to weight loss.

ELCO14 is offline Senior Member
    Are you just burnt out of red meat or are you not 100% convinced eating that much red meat is healthy? I don't believe there is a downside, health wise, to the amount of red meat you consume. If you're just burnt out maybe try some good pork chorizo or some pork/chicken sausages with meals.
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Anave is offline Member
    If you're feeling burned out on meat then you really might not need to eat so much of it. I would suggest that you follow your body's cues on this and don't force yourself you eat more meat than than feels right for you. You're needs will probably vary from day to day and week to week, so it's ok to be flexible. Incorporating more fresh vegetables (especially greens!) never hurt anyone. :-)
    We must learn to do what the leaf and the whale and the wind do of their own nature. We must learn to keep the balance. Having intelligence, we must not act in ignorance. Having choice, we must not act without responsibility
    -Sparrowhawk, The Farthest Shore by Ursula K. LeGuin

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    I eat red meat (lamb, beef, goat, bison) everyday (50% of which comes from local, organic, 100% grassfed farms). Nothing wrong with that (only CW says otherwise). Our ancestors would most likely had the same meat source everyday. So it is not only healthy, but it is tuned with our ancestral way of eating. But I can understand how one can get tired of eating the same meat everyday.

Do you have access to other meats, besides Beef, Pork and Chicken? Like Lamb, goat, veal, bison, elk, etc?

On this note, there is nothing wrong with cutting down your meat consumption, provided that you get at least 1 gram of protein per body weight, and you are getting at least 50% of your daily calories from fat (whether it is from the meats or from butter, coconut oil, or whatever).

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zed View Post
    Our ancestors would most likely had the same meat source everyday.
    I doubt this is true. From what I've seen from traditional cultures today (le TV) when they hunt or fish they try to kill and eat almost every animal they come across, and I can't think of any location that only has one type of game.

To the OP: Eating meat isn't unhealthy no. If you want to eat less meat and more vegetables, imo go ahead. Your protein requirements depend on whether you're weightlifting, what your calories are like and what your carb intake is like. Good night

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandadude View Post
    I doubt this is true. From what I've seen from traditional cultures today (le TV) when they hunt or fish they try to kill and eat almost every animal they come across, and I can't think of any location that only has one type of game.
    I understand that. I was not trying to imply that our ancestors only had access to one meat source (I guess I worded my post wrong), but that it was not uncommon for a culture to eat meat from the same source more than one day, especially if the tribe just hunted down a big game (and provided the tribe was not large).

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    Why wouldn't it be healthy and whats the actual problem statement?

Mac
    Mac is offline Senior Member
    I pretty much live on beef - I am still alive.