Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hair thinning and possible loss page

strom is offline Senior Member

Hair thinning and possible loss

Shop Now
    My hair has been thinning out for awhile now. I'm not sure of the cause, if its from chrohns, asacol (medication for chrohns, antiinflammatory), or genetics. My father is bald and on my fathers side most men tend to become bald in the early 20's. Is there anything that can be done for it? Besidely bosley or transfering pubes or whatever ridiciulous thing they do.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Baldness is a recessive gene that comes from your mother's side. If the men on her side are bald or if she has thinning hair chances are you will as well. If the loss is related to meds, talk to your doctor but with you having Crohns you never know. How bosley works is they transfer hair from the back of your scalp to the front. One of my sisters had it done 10 years ago. I'm considering it as well.
    Georgette

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Have either of you tried Rogaine? I considered it at one point but never did get around to asking my doctor.

I'm hoping to see improvements after being primal for more than just a few months. Just need to remember to keep taking my damned supplements!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Nope. I was hoping there was a more natural solution than surgery. I personally just need my hairs thickened in the middle of my head. Not sure why they are thin there, but taper out to thicker strands.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    check out dannys blog...carnivore health

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    I'm going bald too. I'm 19 and I love my hair. I've accepted it and will start shaving my head when it gets too bad. Perhaps I'll get a full head tattoo. Unlikely, but it shows that going bald doesn't mean your life is over.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

weird fish is offline Senior Member

ProtoAlex is offline Senior Member
    Actually it's not only a recessive gene from your mother (which strom already probably knows considering his family history). There are two main gene loci associated with balding. One is the androgen receptor which as geostump mentioned is a recessive gene from your mother, the other one verified about a year ago is actually associated with your pancreas, it's on the 20th chromosome (20p11) and so you can get it from either your mother or father. Those are the two major genes related to male baldness, there are other less common ones however.

The main treatment is currently to go on propecia although there's a host of side effects associated with it (related to screwing up your hormones) and it only delays the inevitable. A much less invasive treatment with almost no side effects is simply using anti-fungal shampoos, the most effective one is Nizoral with the active ingredient Ketaconazole, it's available over the counter. It's technically a dandruff shampoo but it's fighting the same stuff anyways.
    Last edited by ProtoAlex; 06-03-2011 at 10:20 PM.
    "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
    -J.Stanton

That interesting that could be infection fungal based. I have always had athletes foot, which I thought was caused externally. It would be crazy if that was caused by some sort of internal infection in the gut. I will have to try out this shampoo. I am pretty low stress most of the time.

ProtoAlex is offline Senior Member
    If you get frequent fungal/yeast infections anywhere then it's most likely not an external only issue (unless you're constantly playing footsie in the locker room). Once those things go systemic it can take a long time to treat them with alternative methods or simply a week or so with medical antifungals. You may with to talk to a doctor if you have any other symptoms that may indicate a systemic infection, look up candida for those symptoms.
    "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
    -J.Stanton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast