Thread: Burning out I think page

Glenn is offline Senior Member

Burning out I think

Shop Now
    Today is the end of 9 weeks of primal eating + stronglifts for me. I don't know if this week was just bad or if I'm burning myself out. On Monday I tried a new lifting program, Didn't like it too much, I think the reason is that I tried to do too many lifts in one workout, so I might look it into again in the future.

On Wednesday I went back to stronglifts and lowered my sets down to 3 from 5. Which is what some folks on here recommended about 3 weeks ago , I probably should have listened then lol. The workout went great, I was lifting with a renewed intensity because I wasn't holding back for those 4th and 5th sets.

I got about 30 minutes of rest and then my grandpa called and asked me if I could help him cut "some" grass. I probably should have asked him if he could wait until the next day, but I know he is stubborn and would have went alone. So I said sure. Well after 5 hours of cutting grass in 95 degree weather, needless to say, I was not feeling good at all.

That brings us to today. The workout went ok, but I just was not into it, basically just going through the motions to get done. I workout outside, in Georgia. Our temperatures at the moment seem to be holding steady already at 90-95 degrees. I think it's just a combination of 9 straight weeks of heavy lifting, plus the heat.

I'm thinking about taking next week off and maybe just do some body weight stuff on my 3 lifting days instead. Maybe also adding in a second sprint session during that week. I would take the week off and when I come back I will deload 20% on all lifts. I'm thinking this will sort of reset my body in a good way.

Also, do you guys think it would be a good idea do this this kind of heavy lifting first thing in the morning on a empty stomach? It would definitely be a lot cooler at 8:30am then 2:00pm .

Anywho, sorry for the blog type post.
    Last edited by Glenn; 06-03-2011 at 12:46 PM.
    Height: 6'2
    Primal start date: April 1st 2011
    Start Weight: 300.4 lbs
    Current Weight: 226 lbs (1/16/2012)
    Goal weight: 205 lbs
    Total lost so far: 74.4 lbs

critta is offline Senior Member
    I workout outside all year around in VA our temps aren't quite as hot as yours but still lately been 80s-90s w/loads of humidity. I prefer to workout in the early am on an empty stomach, I generally have a little water when I first wake up but that is all. In the summer its much cooler in the early AM than the PM. Which ever you choose make sure you hydrated, I don't think I was properly hydrated this morning and it totally zapped some of my energy that I knew would normally be there., My legs were cramping and not normal. I have had that happen to me once before and it was only because I was not properly hydrated I was amazed at how much it screwed me up. You probably just drained your system down from the workout and then helping cut the grass.

SlimIcy is offline Senior Member
    I personally can't get up the energy to do heavy lifting in the AM. If you can, more power to you... it'd probably work.

As for taking time off, listen to your body. A week or even three of taking it easier on the muscles can't hurt after the length of time you've been lifting hard.

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    Most people who try training on an empty stomach in the morning wonder why they have not been doing it all along.

Usually a program like stronglifts have a deload period built in around the 8 week mark. I would even rest a whole week then start with the deload and work up past your your previous personal best then rinse and repeat.

Thanks for the input guys.

@Critta, I think I'm staying hydrated enough, I drink 2 glasses of water with my morning meal, then sip up another 2 glasses between then and my lifting, and sip on water while lifting. I think you're right about the previous day of cutting grass just really draining my system.

@SlimIcy, that is one thing I'm worried about, another is all the muscles being real stiff first thing in the morning. I'm for sure taking next week off. I think honestly what I'm worried about is the number on that scale going up. I wouldn't mind if it stalled but if it went up, that would definitely put a dent in my momentum. I know that may be stupid, and in the grand scheme of things, especially with how much weight I've dropped in 2 months, 1 or 2 pounds would not matter if it means I give my body a chance to recover.

@Chima_p, I'm going to give the AM lifting a shot, I hope it works out because I would love to lift first thing in the morning while it's still cool outside. From what I've read on stronglifts, you keep adding weight until you stall on a lift, then you do a deload. I just think taking a week off, and as you said, coming back and deloading as well will be a great combination.
    Last edited by Glenn; 06-03-2011 at 12:45 PM.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    If I didn't know any better I'd think I was reading a post from myself! I also live in Georgia and have a granddad who I used to help mow/do yard work all the time and he is definitely on the stubborn side and would do the work with or without me. Looks like you've already been given some solid advice. I've been doing 5/3/1 for 3 months now and I think the deload weeks definitely help more than hurt.

@Yodiewan, for sure. I've heard nothing but good comes from taking a break every now and then and deloading as well. Some major coincidences there lol. The Georgia heat + humidity just seems to sap the energy right out of you.

judoka is offline Member
    I've done stronglifts in the past and still lift for strength 2-3 times a week. What you are describing is burnout - not just on a physical level, but a mental one as well. It takes a certain amount of psyching yourself up to do heavy weights, and when you don't take a break your mental will to lift weights will decline as well as your physical ability. Take a full week off, if you feel at all like lifting in that week keep it really, really light. Strength training is a marathon, not a sprint, so don't try to pack it all in so to speak. Keep at it, and every 6-8 weeks take a week off and change things up a bit when you get back to keep your body improving.

When you don't take that week off, any number of things can happen - injury (because you don't care enough to keep your form good), physical burnout (soreness and fatigue), illness and mental fatigue.

What were the lifts you tried to squeeze in on Monday?
    Last edited by judoka; 06-03-2011 at 07:54 PM.

@Judoka, It does sound like I'm just burnt out then. I tried hypertrophy-specific training on Monday, I figured since it was only 1-2 sets for each exercise I could can squeeze in all the big compounds in one workout (deadlifts, squats, bench press, overhead press) As well as a few isolations. Just turned out to be too much to try and do, especially in the heat. I think the program is great, I just went about it all wrong.

Well I'm going to make a lot of small changes the week after next and hopefully it helps me out a good bit. I'm taking next week off, not going to lift at all, just doing body weight exercises. When I start back I will be lifting in the morning on an empty stomach, this will be around 8:30am, so it should be much cooler outside. I'm sticking with 3x5, as well as deloading 20% on all my lifts.

Also, I like to do some body weight stuff after my lifts, things like - planks, pull ups, push ups etc. Do you think it would be ok to move these things to my off days instead? That would probably cut about 10-15 minutes off my lifting time as well. Something like lifting mon/wed/fri and doing those body weight exercises on tues/thurs.

judoka is offline Member
    Squeezing your compounds into one day of lifting is generally not a good idea. Something I've heard a lot is the term "frying your CNS" which is exactly what you're going to do trying to squeeze them all into one workout. It isn't just your muscles that are being worked out on the compounds - your nervous system is working it's ass off trying to keep you stabilised and the weight stabilised while your muscles do the mechanical work. That is what is going to really tire you out and burn you out. You're far better off doing maybe 2 of the compounds and doing a few assistance body weight exercises to increase your work capacity.