Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you folks have to offer in a talk Soy milk vs Almond milk page

Styleten is offline Senior Member

What do you folks have to offer in a talk Soy milk vs Almond milk

I need a milk type product for cereal and for milk shakes. Cereals do two things for me, one its a pleasure snack and also it helps me get milk into my system cause i don't drink it by the glass. It goes in my coffee, my shakes and my cereal. I don't have either on a daily basis. Between soy milk and almond milk are there any facts that would make a person like me choose one out right over the other?

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    You are kidding right?

CoyoteVick is offline Senior Member

m e g a n foxy is offline Senior Member
    And we wonder what's wrong with America. OP, case in point.
    && It's not just about living well, it's about dying well.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Here is a long write up on soy by the Weston A Price Foundation. They have a ton of articles regarding the dangers of soy but here is a pretty comprehensive one.
    The Ploy of Soy

I am also looking for more information on Almond Milk. I think the main concern is typically the level of omega6. Also, some almond milk brands may contain carrageenan which has been associated with GI and digestive problems.

But if I was able to consume whole milk with no problem like the OP apparently can. I would rather just have a glass of raw whole milk without the cereal. Soy milk would never be an option. And if you cannot drink whole cow's milk straight than have it with some berries. But I would ditch the cereals all together.
    Last edited by Balance; 06-03-2011 at 12:48 PM.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Hey megan you are a real POS for saying such a thing in an online attack.

If this forum had a stipulation that the only way to get on board is to use a code in the book to gain access maybe you nazi types wouldn't have anything to complain about. Until mark does that stfu and be respectful. Take it up with mark if you got a problem but PMSing on a forum isn't apart of the mission statement of the forum. Using the forum to educate people and promote book sales on the other hand is included in the mission statement. I'm in the right for asking questions and you are in the wrong for complaining. To complain is voluntary if you don't like what you read move on with out shitting on someone. There is far worse in America then asking people questions to learn opposed to reading it from books. Some folks choose to be teachers, some invest their education per being asked and then their are people like yourself. Jumping aboard then talking it upon yourself to talk down to people is a pompous position to have achieved in life. Asking people for education as an avenue of knowledge seeking isn't a problem in America. For every book saying don't eat this food another can be found recommending the food be tried. Seeking human experience is whats right about America, it is whats right about the internet and if you don't like it, at least shut up about it. I"m not knocking on your door, invading your personal space, or taking time from your personal life. You are a guest on marks forum, you volunteer to use it, and you should respect that not everyone will have ingested the same information that you have by the same time that you have. If you are no longer a knowledge seeker and no longer a person looking to help then it doesn't make sense you even log in. If you want to be a totalitarian who barks orders online and makes the rules start a forum of your own. Megspalace.com is available and for 11.99 a year and free hosting you can make the rules.

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    From the bits that I've read around on Soy and Almonds. Soy is the most harmful. It has to be greatly processed and it has things in it that don't sit well with the body. Something about estrogen and such.

Almonds are high in Omega 6's, but if you eat your fish like a good boy, and not drinking the Almond milk by the gallon, you should be alright.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Did I stumble onto a vegan board by mistake or something? *rubs eyes*

I don't want to pick on you or anything but this is a pretty anti-cereal bunch so brace yourself. Not just breakfast cereal in a box, but all grains. There are a few people here who will eat a little white rice but for the most part you have entered a grain-free zone. And a box-free zone. Regardless of how people stand on the pros and cons of a given grain, one of the main tenants of primal is to eat whole, unprocessed foods. So you'll find plenty of people here that would say no to all of that: the cereal, the shakes, the milk substitutes, etc.

So I would say give up the cereal and that goes a long way to solving your dairy substitute problem, but if it's working for you and you feel good, who am I to tell you what to do? You would be doing yourself a favor in the long term by picking a cereal that is gluten-free with a minimum amount of sugar and unpronouncables in the ingredients list. Ok. Off the soapbox (baconbox?) now.

As for your shakes and coffee, I'd take coconut milk over either soy or almond. Even "coconut milk beverage". It's got some distinctively unprimal ingredients like carageenan, but I think it's likely a better choice with fewer antinutrients and omega 6 fats than the almond milk. But I'd take almond over soy. Too many antinutrients and phytoestrogens in the soy. Plus I think both taste better than soy milk, so what's not to like there?

Coffee is awesome with a little splash of heavy cream, though, and that has very little milk protein being almost all fat. Some people make a creamer out of coconut milk and coconut oil. You'll find it if you search for "coconut crack creamer".
    Last edited by DaisyEater; 06-03-2011 at 01:11 PM.

Nion is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wow. That was...over the top. O_O
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast