Thread: High-Fat Diet During Pregnancy Programs Child for Future Diabetes page

nmgrandma is offline Junior Member
    CA resident but own a home in Ruidoso, NM

Thumbs down High-Fat Diet During Pregnancy Programs Child for Future Diabetes

Shop Now
    I was horrified when I read this report in Science Daily this morning.

High-fat diet during pregnancy programs child for future diabetes, study suggests

Mark, what say you?

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    The study was funded by the USDA.

Follow the Money
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    it says right at the beginning that it's a typical western diet that happens to be high in fat. truck loads of ice cream can cause problems for anyone, not just pregnant women

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I've seen studies where a "high-fat" diet included cake frosting. Yeah it's high in fat, but it's even higher in sugar. Studies like those just give good fat a bad rap. I think everyone agrees that high fat + high sugar/carb foods (for example cake, potato chips) are not part of a healthy diet. Just eat real food.
    Last edited by yodiewan; 06-03-2011 at 09:28 AM.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    i am assuming that high fat is cupcakes with icing not coconut butter.

agian i say look who paid for it. they NEVER have an agenda EVER
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Nion is offline Senior Member
    Read the article properly, they mean bad fats for the most part and make a differentiation

Pregnant women should consume a balanced diet low in saturated fats, which are usually found in fattier cuts of meat, fast foods, pastries, and desserts. But they should also consume appropriate amounts of healthy fats, including good sources of omega-3 and -6 fatty acids, which are important for their baby's brain and neuron development
    The fact that they got the actual 'healthy fats' wrong is bad though, lol. But they did try. :P
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nion View Post
    The fact that they got the actual 'healthy fats' wrong is bad though, lol. But they did try. :P
    Yeah, better than nothing, but still, CW has a long way to go to get it right. Lumping fatty meat with pastries and not expanding on the importance of o3-o6 balance and overal PUFA minimization are serious errors.

bookstorecowboy is offline Senior Member
    I don't know what Mark would say, but we know from studies of hunter-gatherers that diabetes is virtually absent in populations that consume diets extremely high in saturated fat (the Inuit, for example). So the study does not seem to mean very much for those who stick to that diet ("Paleo" in whatever form).. But it might indicate that such populations have a heightened vulnerability to diabetes of they switch to the SAD. That would seem to fit the data. So I guess a pregnant mom might want to think about how much saturated fat she wants to consume during pregnancy. I see no reason to be "horrified." The researchers did not even offer a prediction about the supposedly heightened rate of diabetes that might result if these results can be assumed to apply to human beings. What if it were, for purposes of argument, taken as a 5% increase? Would you still be horrified?

nmgrandma is offline Junior Member
    CA resident but own a home in Ruidoso, NM
    I was concerned about the fact that when I was pregnant with my first daughter back in 1966, I was 10 pounds underweight (according to my doctor) and was advised to gain those 10 pounds as quickly as possible. I have to admit that I really don't remember just what I ate but I ate just about anything that was not locked down. That is not to say that I ate unhealthy foods because I have always eaten healthy, according to CW. That was long before I discovered the PrimalBlueprint way of eating. The point of this story is that the child born from that pregnancy now has Type2 diabetes.

Sudenveri is offline Senior Member
    All right, but how old is that child now and what kind of diet/lifestyle have they had through their life?