Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 days in....so many questions-not sure where to put them all page

incognito is offline Junior Member

Smile 3 days in....so many questions-not sure where to put them all

Shop Now
    Hello there,

My name is Jess, I am 28 and from Toronto, Canada. I have been on and off weightwatchers, and "eating in moderation" for 15 years. I am currently 5'5" and 315lbs.

Ive always been slightly over weight, but always very active. My body type has always been curvy, but my fitness level was high so I didnt mind. I have 0 fitness level currently and have declared this "the summer of Jess". I have been researching and reading about the primal way for a few weeks and June 1st decided to "jump" (can't jump too well-yet!) in with both feet.

I quit smoking in June 2010 and I was working out regularly last summer when I started to develop serious respiratory infections. The infections became chronic and I was sent to the hospital for a number of tests and x-rays. After 6 months of tests my doctor told me to go see a naturopath. She told me to eliminate dairy (casein and whey), and limit soy-all my symptoms were gone within weeks.

After this I started to really get into food and diet, what makes sense, what doesn't, cancer rates...etc I was shocked.

So, here I am 3 days in and I feel great. The first two days I was very nervous, as I am/was addicted to carbs. At about 2pm I feel like I could eat a loaf of bread at my desk. The first day I did indeed eat a muffin, and yesterday afternoon I had 4 pretzels before I vould stop myself. Today I am oozing with confidence and have made up a special trail mix for my 2pm carb rage.

I am curious as to what other people have experienced during their "carb detox"? I feel like I almost get a caffeine headache, (I have never had one, but imagine this is what it could feel like). I can count on one hand how many headaches I have had in my entire life, so I am convinced that this must be related to my carb cut.

I also am not big on the science, numbers, percentages...etc Eventually I am sure I will understand it more, or at least want to. As of right now I am just taking it one day at a time.

I have yet to incorporate any kind of fitness into my daily/weekly routine. Nutrition first, and then I will work on my activity levels. Are there any other people who started out super fat? What kind of activity levels did you introduce? I am pretty active within my work place, as my work involves a 30 minute walk, up and down stairs numerous times, as well as lifting children. CrossFit appeals to me so much, yet I don't think I can go from 0 to 100. Thoughts?

Today's food is:

b-large sausage, coconut berry smoothie
    s-celery and almond butter
    l-big ass salad (spinach, shrooms, peppers, zuchinni, tomato, avocado, and salmon)
    s-walnuts, pumpkin seeds, 71% choc chips, almonds
    d- going out to earth Rosedale > Home which I am really looking forward to

I think it seems like a lot of food, but I feel as though I am over compensating in order to not eat bread...lol it may seem silly but I have a feeling as I the days go by I will be eating less. I would be open to anyone's critique or suggestions.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Don't think nutrition first, activity levels second. You will get your best success if you do both at the same time. Maybe add some additional upper body exercise (think wall pushups, dumbbells) since you're doing a fair bit of lower body stuff with walking and stair climbing.

Your eating plan seems good but work on easing back on the two snacks over the next week or so. Some people also find they have sensitivities to peppers and tomatoes (nightshade family) so if you have issues you might want to cut those back as well.

Good luck!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    If you're eating muffins and pretzels you're not following the PB yet... Gotta jump in with both feet. It's not so bad once you get used to it
    I would substitute nuts for meat whenever possible.
    Sausage can be iffy because store-bought sausage usually gets its flavor from artificial sources or tons of salt. But, I am making an assumption, it's possible your sausage is all-natural and full of greatness!

I am not big on the scientifics myself. I do think that if you are able to eat like you plan to, every day, then you will see great results. You ask about carb withdrawal... I will say that carbs/grains used to make up almost my entire diet (snacks were ALWAYS grains, and grains were in every meal) and after close to 4 weeks of cutting them out entirely, I haven't had any symptoms of a withdrawal. It totally depends on who you are.

Also, it may help to remember that "carb cravings" don't come from your body requesting them, they come from habit. It's mental and you can overcome it. One of the best things I've found, along with many others here, is that plants and animals are very filling foods. You shouldn't go hungry on primal living. If you are hungry, eat plants and animals. You will find that you don't have the vicious cycle of being hungry again after an hour that you experienced after eating a lot of carbs. At least, I hope you get to that point soon! I found it very quickly. Best of luck to you!! Start a journal It helps!

thanks so much!

and yes it was a big old beretta farm's sausage

thanks for the tips....and i know im not there yet with my 2pm breakdowns, but even this morning was easier....i mean it can only get easier right? the past two days were rough, all i wanted was bread....today i feel prepared and confident (finally)

RachelZoe is offline Senior Member
    Hi Jess,

I just wanted to say welcome. I'm fairly new at this...restarted in March, skipped April, and jumped back in during May. People always talk about choosing a plan you can do for life, and that's always gone in one ear and out the other for me, lol. However, I finally decided to get real with myself about finding and maintaining my goal weight as I'm sick and tired of the ups and downs of dieting. There are many wonderful and yummy foods I can eat on Primal and I don't feel hungry or deprived eating this way. I've been gluten free for about a year now, and that's one of the best things I've ever done for myself as I'm very sensitive to wheat.

As far as fitness goes--it always seems like the hardest thing to fit into my schedule, but it's one of the things I need the most. Can you start with something simple like a daily walk? That's kind of where I'm at right now. I also bought a kettlebell and have some weights at home so that there's never an excuse for me NOT to do at least a light workout on most days. I do plan to ramp up the intensity of my workouts this summer.

I do agree that starting a journal is a great idea.

Rachel

ennasirk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by incognito View Post

I am curious as to what other people have experienced during their "carb detox"? I feel like I almost get a caffeine headache, (I have never had one, but imagine this is what it could feel like). I can count on one hand how many headaches I have had in my entire life, so I am convinced that this must be related to my carb cut.

I also am not big on the science, numbers, percentages...etc Eventually I am sure I will understand it more, or at least want to. As of right now I am just taking it one day at a time.
    I'd recommend that for now, don't stress too much about eating/eating timing - just have a variety of Primal foods available (or know where you can get them if the hungries hit when you're not at home), and eat when you're hungry, stop when you're not. Learn to recognize and respond to your body's true hunger signals, not just its cravings. Your trail mix is a better option than a muffin or pretzel; or have some hard-boiled eggs made up so you can grab one or two if you need something in between meals.

Quote Originally Posted by incognito View Post
    I have yet to incorporate any kind of fitness into my daily/weekly routine. Nutrition first, and then I will work on my activity levels. Are there any other people who started out super fat? What kind of activity levels did you introduce? I am pretty active within my work place, as my work involves a 30 minute walk, up and down stairs numerous times, as well as lifting children. CrossFit appeals to me so much, yet I don't think I can go from 0 to 100. Thoughts?
    One option is to consider 1:1 training session with a Crossfit trainer (if it's available). I go to a boot camp class that's relatively similar to Crossfit, but I worked my way up to going to class (and worked my weight down in the process) by doing 1:1 sessions first (not sure if that's an option in your budget). Of course, the first step really is to establish fitness as part of your routine, even if it's just walking for a while - maybe you can mix it up and include hills or stairs to add a "sprint" element to walking. This blog has some great ideas for quick daily workouts, too - scalable to whereever you happen to be starting, fitness-wise.
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

Quote Originally Posted by ennasirk View Post
    I'd recommend that for now, don't stress too much about eating/eating timing - just have a variety of Primal foods available (or know where you can get them if the hungries hit when you're not at home), and eat when you're hungry, stop when you're not. Learn to recognize and respond to your body's true hunger signals, not just its cravings. Your trail mix is a better option than a muffin or pretzel; or have some hard-boiled eggs made up so you can grab one or two if you need something in between meals.

One option is to consider 1:1 training session with a Crossfit trainer (if it's available). I go to a boot camp class that's relatively similar to Crossfit, but I worked my way up to going to class (and worked my weight down in the process) by doing 1:1 sessions first (not sure if that's an option in your budget). Of course, the first step really is to establish fitness as part of your routine, even if it's just walking for a while - maybe you can mix it up and include hills or stairs to add a "sprint" element to walking. This blog has some great ideas for quick daily workouts, too - scalable to whereever you happen to be starting, fitness-wise.
    thank you ennasirk!

I know I am truly not hungry when I have the carb craving, but it's a habit....a very very bad habit. I would love to get a crossfit trainer, and am looking into it...we shall see, I would love to work myself to a point where I can take a class with them. I will check out that site too.

I really appreciate all the feedback and support!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    If you can fight your way through the carb cravings, that will be great. With lots of fat to lose, you do probably need to be pretty strict. But remember that you don't have to do primal perfectly to get the benefits. You do need to eliminate wheat (e.g. muffins and pretzels). It's great that you could stop at 4 pretzels.

Be sure to get enough fats. That will help with the carb cravings. Don't worry about eating too much. As long as you are holding carbs way down and eating protein, fat, salad and low carb veggies, you really can't eat too much. Once you get carbs under control, trust what your body wants. (Of course, your body may say it wants a double bacon cheeseburger with fries. You have to say "Gotcha body. One big grass fed beef patty, some pastured cheese and a salad with bacon crumbled on it coming up! Hold the fries!")

I have to disagree about substituting nuts for meat. (Maybe that is what Lobster meant.) Some nuts are fine but keep them to a few for snacks.

It seems like you are on the right track. Good luck!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome!

I'm 5' 10" tall and started at nearly 280 pounds in late September. I am now down to 220.

When I started, I was eating what felt like a huge amount of primal food, but it kept me from eating grains and sugar. In addition to meat and veggies, I ate nuts, fruit and cheese (1-2 servings/day) The amazing thing is that I lost weight anyway. After a while, your body will crave less and you will eat less. I have since tweaked my program to remove most of the fruit and cheese. I also now IF, but right now your only goal should be to stop eating grains and sugar.

I was already working out in the gym when I was introduced to Primal. The exercise component is important for toning as you lose. It also makes you feel good mentally and physically, so add in what you can. Lifting Heavy Things made the most difference in my body.

Read up on supplements here on the forums. I take a lot. You can see my list on page 6 of my journal. Supplements have helped me heal my body and curb carb cravings which I still battle once a month.

Good Luck and Keep in touch!
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    OH! I forgot to add... The best advice I can give you is to start simple. I am new to this myself and my only goal for starting out was to eliminate grains, and eat meat/veggies. The simpler you make it for yourself, the better chance of success.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast