So I made the homemade deodorant, using 1/4 cup baking soda, 1/4 cup cornstarch, 4T coconut oil and some tea tree and lavender essential oil. Best stuff I've ever used. Smelled great, and for the first time, a deodorant held me all day. BUT...it was really gritty, and I ended up getting a really nasty breakout under my arm, in addition to a rash about every three days. The breakout appears to be the result of bacteria buildup. So I treated it with some tea tree oil (irony), neosporin, and voila...it is going away. But I switched back to commercial deodorant (which doesn't last all day -- I've used just about every brand) for it to heal. So now it's healed. I made another batch of deodorant -- this time with 1/4 cup baking soda, 1/4 cup cornstarch, and 8+T coconut oil and some cocoa butter lotion, plus the tea tree oil and the lavender. My concern is that it is still surprisingly gritty -- not sure how to combat that. I thought more oil/less grit per container made would help. And the bacterial breakout is worrisome. An easy fix, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. The grittiness seems to irritate my skin.

Thoughts? Suggestions?