Thread: When to workout - Sacrefice sleep or food? page

Hvrafnur is offline Junior Member

Question When to workout - Sacrefice sleep or food?

Shop Now
    Hi everyone!
    I have a problem. Or maybe not a problem, but i cant decide what to go for.
    I have 2 options. Either i wake up early (05:30) And hit the gym before work. Which means i have to go to bed at 09:30 to get 8 hours of sleep. 09:30 is to early for me, since my Wife gets home from work at that time, would like to at least spend 1 hour with her.

My other option is to go to the gym after work. Which would be at arround 6. This would mean dinner at 8ish.

I guess theres one more option. To go to the gym at 8:30pm. But that would mean it will be hard to go to bed, since i still need some food and will be all speedy from the gym.

So if you had to choose - what would it be?

Thanks!

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    After work would be my choice.

You could workout at home while making dinner... or make easy dinners... or cook in bulk in the crockpot

dado Guest
    after work is your best option

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Do sets of bodyweight exercises throughout the day and do your heavy lifting at the gym on the weekend.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I wouldn't recommend losing sleep to workout. Double cortisol-whammy. Also, most people can work out more intensely later in the day than in the morning.

I go to the gym after work most days and get home around 5 or 6. I cook my post-workout meal in advance so all I have to do is reheat in the microwave.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    Do sets of bodyweight exercises throughout the day and do your heavy lifting at the gym on the weekend.
    I need to "lift heavy things" 3 times a week, and doing that sat/sun would be to much of a stress on the body. But if i weren't looking to build muscle, then yes, that's what i would have done.

So far, seems after work it is. hmm. To bad my employer wont let me get in later (and go home later ofc) otherwise i'd prefeer the mornings!

Off topic: Sry for bad spelling, from sweden, and to bad you cant edit the topic!

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    I go to the gym after work most days and get home around 5 or 6. I cook my post-workout meal in advance so all I have to do is reheat in the microwave.
    Yes, guess i'll have to start making double the ammount of food.

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Sleep should really be the last thing on the possible sacrifices - always! Start spending time with your wife on the weekend cooking up several days worth of meals to have ready for the weekdays. Then you'll have more time with her during the week, as well - not to mention the fact that your weekdays may be a little less stressful when the grub is all ready and all you have to do is pick which yummy stuff you'll attack that day.

Try not to stress too much, though - do what you can with the hectic schedule and don't expect perfection. That's not what it's about!
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Yes, i had some plans on doing workouts during lunch, but that would mean stress. So i quickly skipped that!
    Before i went primal (and before i got an infection on my brain) i worked out ALLOT. About 10 times a week. So, stress is something i dont want, cuz, in the end, all you get is.. well.. sickness.

Thanks for great replys

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    That depends on who you worship. The greek gods like food offerings whereas the Aesir prefer physical endeavours.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.