Thread: Messed up my spicy stir-fried spaghetti squash experiment, but still.. page

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member

Messed up my spicy stir-fried spaghetti squash experiment, but still..

I never made anything with spaghetti squash before, but I was going for a spicy-potato pancake kind of thing to eat as-is or use for stuffing (like stuffed mini peppers).

I don't have an oven, and didn't realize that the thing to do is bake it first to loosen up the inside. I just cut it in half raw and scooped out what I could, and did this-

half cup ground walnuts
    1/4 cup Romano cheese, ground with the walnuts
    The usual mix of healthy spices- Curry, turmeric, paprika, Cumin, basil, and black pepper
    One spaghetti squash, at least what I could scrape out!

Heat up some olive oil on medium
    Mix all the above and brown it like a potato pancake

Not bad for a screwup! It's crunchy, spicy, nutty, and kind-of-hard-to-describe-pumpkinish.

For next time, can you soften up a spaghetti squash in a microwave?

jhc
    jhc is offline Senior Member
    To be honest I would cook it entirely in the microwave before you do anything else.

Spaghetti squash cooks perfectly in the microwave and is incredibly easy to prepare. Just cut it in half, scoop out the pulp and seeds, stand it on a (glass) pie plate or bowl in a puddle of water and nuke for 10 minutes. Remove the flesh with a fork in one hand and an oven glove on the other.

You can then add it to whatever recipe you are making, or just serve it on its own with fresh ground pepper and a pat of butter.

The results will look much closer to spaghetti than what you produced there.
    Last edited by jhc; 06-03-2011 at 12:01 AM.

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    You can just chuck it in a 400F oven for 30-40 minutes also. After that it will definitely look like spaghetti when you scoop out the strands

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jhc View Post
    To be honest I would cook it entirely in the microwave before you do anything else.

Spaghetti squash cooks perfectly in the microwave and is incredibly easy to prepare. Just cut it in half, scoop out the pulp and seeds, stand it on a (glass) pie plate or bowl in a puddle of water and nuke for 10 minutes. Remove the flesh with a fork in one hand and an oven glove on the other.

You can then add it to whatever recipe you are making, or just serve it on its own with fresh ground pepper and a pat of butter.

The results will look much closer to spaghetti than what you produced there.
    Microwaves are great for cooking spaghetti squash. I hate it but make it for my family.
    Georgette

Chop the spaghetti squash in half (Thats the biggest part of the battle) scoop out the junk, put about a 1/4 stick of butter in the bottom, put a paper towel on top and nuke it in the microwave

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I had never eaten a spaghetti squash until going primal. And I've discovered that I really like it. I cook mine in the microwave. It's bitching hot when you take it out, so be careful!

And I love billygoat's idea of cooking it with a pat of butter in the middle. Mmmmm...
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals