Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ketosis Questions (esp for those who feel best in ketosis) page

FairyRae is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

If you feel best when you are in ketosis, would you mind sharing:

a. how you feel in ketosis and why you think it works for you

b. what your daily meals typically look like--even a full list of all meals for one day (if you are willing to share that), your typical ratio of carbs to fat to protein (if you're aware of it), and how many grams of carbs you think you get in a day

c. how long it took you to get in a state of ketosis, and how long you've been in ketosis (a week, month, years, etc)

I'm very interested in learning a/b this, and appreciate any and all responses. And, if you've tried ketosis and didn't feel it worked for you, I'd be interested in hearing why, along w/ any other info you all have to share on ketosis.

Just a little info on me, I am grainfree, not 100% pb or paleo but working my way there. I try to keep my carbs (from fruit, veggies, raw honey and tubers) under 150g a day and do feel better w/ carbs at this level as long as I get enough fat. I am not trying to lose weight--I'm just looking for the diet that works best for me health-wise.

TIA for any info you have to share!

My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

bobbylight Guest

I have never really gotten into ketosis (maybe just a little bit...probably eating around 70 grams of carbs a day). Anyway, I have heard that some people do not react well to it. I believe it has to do with insulin sensitivity. Anyway, if you are not looking to lose weight why cut out those nutritious fruits and veggies you are eating?

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Hi FairyRae,

I don't know that I'm in ketosis as such, but I try to keep my carbs under 50g/day so *theoretically* I will be.

So if that qualifies, I feel a lot less sluggish, have more energy, can keep busy with my work for as long as needed without suddenly getting hunger pangs or cravings. Any hunger I feel is more a gentle prod than a demonic possession!!

I do feel so much better / "cleaner" at these low carb levels HOWEVER if my carbs go up, the cravings come back easily so I often take several days to lower carb intake back down.

So, on these "good days" a typical menu could be no breakfast, or a couple of eggs scrambled in butter. I like roasted chicken legs (with skin) for lunch - portable, easy, pre-prepared, and don't get funny looks from work colleagues despite it being a carnivorous lunch!

Evening meal tends to be along the meat-and-two-veg line (eg pork chop, savoy cabbage, baked onion, all with butter!) or soup/stew.

I'm very sensitive to carbs - this week I indulged in a portion of chocolate. That 15g carb (of which 14g sugar) set off four days of high carb intake/craving!! Crazy huh?

I don't plan on cutting out produce totally--you can eat a lot of various veggies (esp. green which are SOOOO nutritious) on a very low carb diet. (And I honestly don't see myself going to a very low, ketogenic type diet any time soon--I'm just very interested in learning about it, as I think it *might* feel really good to me...I'm really wondering what this kind of diet looks like for various folks...)

I've been doing lots of reading lately (Primal Body, Primal Mind, by Nora Gedgaudas: http://www.primalbody-primalmind.com/, and info on Dr. Jan Kwasniewski's Optimal Diet: http://homodiet.netfirms.com/). There are folks who suggest that ketosis is actually the state that our bodies are *meant* to be in at most times, that utilizing dietary glucose from carbs is NOT how we were made to thrive. Dr. Thomas Cowen recently spoke at a WAPF conference I believe on this topic (this info is second hand)--asking 'What if ketones were meant to be the primary and glucose the back up?' This is what I am interested in learning about...

I've also read that folks who recommend these kinds of diets believe in getting most of your food from (good, healthy) fats, NOT protein, which is something I'm just really interested in learning about as well--what the diet of a person who is thriving in ketosis looks like.

I know from 'experimenting' w/ my own diet, that I a. feel best w/out grains, b. feel best when I keep my carbs at/around/or under 150 g--the recs on Mark's carb curve. But I've not gone very low carb, and really just want to learn about folks who do. I'm interested in eating the very BEST diet for my body, the diet my body was made to eat (the diet my stone age ancestors *really* ate). Many folks are postulating that that diet was very high in fat (70-80%, moderate protein, and very low carbs. I currently eat around 50-60% fat, 20% protein and 20% carbs, but just really am looking to find the *perfect* balance for *me*.

I am very interested in looking into the insulin issue, as I've read in multiple places it is a key factor in all of this. I don't know enough about it. Any links you have to share on insulin I'd be interested to read!

My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

I feel a lot better now that I re-introduced carbohydrates into my diet: sweet potatoes, soaked brown rice, veggies - but no fruits. Totals about 100 grams of carbs per day - still low-carb.

I think I've actually began to lose more weight. It makes weight lifting so much better - I just couldn't build muscle and strength in ketosis.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

@ NorthernMonkey

Thank you for your reply! I have noticed that when I choose to go over the level of carbs I currently feel good in (100-150g a day) I get really strong carb cravings as well and do not feel good (after binging on them!) I get shaky and feel out of sorts. I&#39;m not 100% primal or paleo by any means, and this usually happens after eating really sweet fruit smoothies (using coconut milk w/ high carb fruits like bananas) and eating dried fruit or too many nuts (or peanuts--not primal/paleo but something I still eat.) So, I&#39;m working on finding the best place for me.

Your daily meals still sound like there is not enough fat/food to keep *me* satiated (although they sound delicious!). I just wonder if I actually tried going into ketosis, if I would feel satiated by that amount of food b/c my body would adjust (and simply need *less* food)? I need extra fatty snacks (like coconut oil based treats, etc.) to keep myself satiated, but I still eat a pretty high amount of carbs compared to some very low carbers. I&#39;m also nursing a toddler, so that impacts it all as well I&#39;m sure.

Thank you for your reply!

My Before/After Pics

Thanks Raphael. I (unlike many of the posters here) am not a big work out woman. I do yoga when I can, and am active w/ my 2 year old...but that is honestly it right now. I was reading something on MDA (sorry I can&#39;t recall where) that folks who do work out a lot can stand to eat more carbs than those who don&#39;t--that they burn them for fuel (where the more sedentary folks store them as fat.)

I was also just reading Mark&#39;s guide to insulin: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/diabetes/ and he mentions "In fact, some paleo-anthropologists suggest that our ancestors consumed, on average, only about 80 grams of carbohydrate a day." There is a link to this site: http://www.beyondveg.com/billings-t/...-anat-7k.shtml which I&#39;m off to check out now... Just thought I&#39;d post it as I think it&#39;s relevent to this topic.

My Before/After Pics

Griff is offline Senior Member

When I&#39;m in ketosis, I have no carb cravings. I feel hungry sometimes, but it&#39;s a very mild sort of "Oh, I should eat something" hunger, not a ravening "FEED NOW GRNARG!!!" sort of starvation hunger. I&#39;m rarely tired during the day. I just feel energized.

Typical meals? Bacon and scrambled eggs for breakfast; chicken caesar salad without the croutons for lunch, steak and more salad for dinner. Dressings are always high-fat cream-type dressings (bleu cheese or ranch). I average around 10 grams of net carbs per day.

I went into ketosis on the third day. Dark purple sticks. It took my body about 72 hours to purge out most of the carbs, but I went hard-core, zero carbs at the beginning.

My protein/fat/carb ratios are about 22% protein, 74% fat, and the remaining 4% are those net carbs. I eat between 1200 and 2200 calories most days. (I just calculated all this for my doctor this week, which is why I know off the top of my head .)

Finally, I&#39;d advise not listening to bobbylight as he&#39;s given ample evidence that he&#39;s a CW troll.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Wow Griff, thanks for the info!

How long have you been eating this way?

I don&#39;t know enough about all this stuff, but it seems we each go into ketosis at different carb intake levels? It seems like kind of a unique thing?

Thanks a lot for the percentages of your daily protein/fat/carb intake--that&#39;s very helpful for me.

My Before/After Pics

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

PrimalCon New York

Just thought I&#39;d add my 2 cents to the thread.

I guess I go into ketosis fairly often. I finally bought some ketostix and I learned that between dinner and breakfast I have "trace" amounts. If I skip one meal I have small amounts. I&#39;ve been on a fast for... 26 hours and I&#39;m about to check and see where I&#39;m at.

One thing I notice when I do fast for long periods (2 meals or more), is that I feel quite energetic and "light". Shoot, I just forgot my cell phone in my car. It took practically nothing to run down and get it. Hell, I probably could have kept running right past the car and down the road, it was such a breeze. I&#39;ve never run while fasting, so this sort of made me curious.

I&#39;ve learned that when I eat 75g of carbs or more, I start to feel more sluggish and "weighed down." I&#39;m less energetic and it takes a little more to get up and going.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast