Thread: Fruit and IBS issues page

ebolus101 is offline Junior Member

Fruit and IBS issues

Shop Now
    So I know that fruit should be limited for fat loss but still should be eaten. My issue though is that I have IBS and any and all fruit causes extreme gastrointestinal issues. Is there some other source that could replace fruit??

Nutritionator is offline Senior Member
    Source of what? You can get all the nutrients you need from veggies, meat, eggs, some nuts and seeds. Just try no fruits for a while and see how you feel, if you're trying to get more of a particular nutrient tell us what you need and we'll find non fruit ways to get it
    My Paleo Project:

www.nutritionator.com

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    I don't think you need it at all. Just don't replace it!

A good diet for IBS is Primal without fruit and dairy. Obviously you want to avoid grains, do some vitamin D and a strong B complex.

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutritionator View Post
    Source of what? You can get all the nutrients you need from veggies, meat, eggs, some nuts and seeds. Just try no fruits for a while and see how you feel, if you're trying to get more of a particular nutrient tell us what you need and we'll find non fruit ways to get it
    +1 As someone who's 'in recovery' from IBS, I say stay away from the stuff until you feel better, then if you really want some start with low fructose berries and see if they're tolerable. If not, then don't eat fruit any more. Check out the threads on FODMAPS for more info.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

ebolus101 is offline Junior Member
    wow thanks everyone. Yeah IBS is truly a pain

Valkyria is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebolus101 View Post
    wow thanks everyone. Yeah IBS is truly a pain
    I second that! I've had it since 2006, and I finally think I'm about to figure it out after having tried so many diets and supplements.
    Primal has helped a lot, but it wasn't until I started my new experiment last Sunday things really improved. I've decided to give up on all the foods that are know to cause problems for at least a week or until I feel better, and then I'll introduce one food type a day and see if I get any symptoms. My hope is that I'll be able to figure out exactly what I'm intolerant to.

I've given up
    lectins
    FODMAP's
    starch

That includes amongst other things:
    Deadly nightshades including tomato, potato and eggplant.
    Glutens found in wheat, rye, barley, malt, and oats.
    Legumes, all beans including soy and peanut.
    Dairy including all milk products, milk, cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt, kefir.
    Eggs
    Nuts
    Sweet potato
    Rice
    Onion
    Broccoli
    Cauliflower
    Coconut
    Many fruits

It might seem like a lot, but there is still a lot left to eat. I eat all sorts of meat, seafood, mushrooms, carrots, spinach, lettuce, greens, grapefruit, beetroot, radishes, coconut oil, olive oil, dark chocolate(85%), leek, sauerkraut and probably other things too.

Like I said, I started this experiment on Sunday, and the last few days I've felt fine. I've had no bloating or other issues at all!
    Last edited by Valkyria; 06-03-2011 at 10:06 AM.
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Proud mother of twin girls!