Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Made a wiki about health, with paleo themes.. page

free3337 is offline Member

Made a wiki about health, with paleo themes..

Shop Now
    I put together a wiki about health. Paleolithic aspects are included but its primarily about populations that have been documented as healthy, modern scientific reasoning and research, etc.

It currently has over 1,200 references to unique, peer reviewed scientific literature. It is an open wiki and you may contribute, or discuss aspects/suggestions here. Certain parts of the wiki may be wrong, so correction regarding any of these would be appreciated.

If you're familiar with the paleo sphere (blogs etc), there is not really much or any novel content; the content is inspired by people who've already written lots of great stuff (e.g. Whole Health Source ). But I wanted to compile stuff. The ultimate idea is a site where if you wanted to talk to somebody about some health issue, you can easily pull up a concise but extensive document detailing everything relevant/significant, with sources and particular arguments included.

http://flare8.net/health

Nion is offline Senior Member
    Good idea, bookmarked! I'll have a thorough look later...maybe email it to Mark, see if he wants to join in?
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    That is way cool.

I'm going through the Health and Diets page, very good.

All those pics of people to show their teeth are getting creepy. I would suggest moving those to a "creepy teeth page" or something!

DFH
    If you don't mind some feedback on the "Just Tell Me What To Eat" page-

If I posted that link on my Facebook to recommend everyone I know to read it, it would freak them out.

As far as "eat this," there are 4 things. One is organ meats and offal, and another is raw dairy. I think just about everyone reading that would click the page off and never come back!

The sample menu looks like food for 2 people, not one. Do you eat THAT much?

I'm not trying to bust on all the hard work, it's awesome. I'm just reacting the way most readers would.

Nion is offline Senior Member
    If you don't mind...i'll go through later an improve the writing flow.
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by DFH View Post
    If I posted that link on my Facebook to recommend everyone I know to read it, it would freak them out.
    I know, not much I can do about that, I really want the info there regarding what is especially healthful food. Such info wouldn't be considered extreme/gross in many non-U.S. cultures. :|

I'd like the main pages to sort of be a catalog, but the 'summations_conclusions' page to be focused more on making specific arguments/points/convincing writing, i think. so that's where I would try to convince someone that offal is good, not to mention tasty. (but since I think its probably not absolutely necessary to include offal in one's diet, maybe its ok not to try and persuade people of it if they don't want..).

The sample menu looks like food for 2 people, not one. Do you eat THAT much?
    Yea, if i worked it out right it comes out to around 2,000 kcal, ~65% fat, 20% carb, 15% protein.

Quote Originally Posted by Nion View Post
    If you don't mind...i'll go through later an improve the writing flow.
    Yea for sure, I know the flow of the whole thing is one of the weaker points. However, I was getting kind of tired of working on this because I feel like the info is adequately presented to where someone who was genuinely interested in health could parse the necessary knowledge. So that's why I put it up on a wiki, so it could be improved hopefully by the paleo community at large, not to mention updated with new info/studies as they come about.

DFH
    It's a great start. I hope it takes off.

Instead of saying "eat this way..." Maybe say-

(In this order)

1. Things that are eaten the most that are OK...
    2. Things that you want to avoid...
    3. Things that you should consider if you really want to be Primal/Paleo (your preferences)

I have my preferences too, but on my blog I just wrote a page called "My Diet and Plan" instead of trying to convince others to copy what I do.

Give people a chance to get to appreciate the site and not so much hit them with everything at once. People make changes at their own speed.

I rejiggered a few things attempting to improve readability. I split the 'health and diets' section into 4 more specific sections: Healthy societies; Healthy societies diets; Unhealthy societies; Unhealthy societies diets. I also moved the summary/conclusion page to the front, the idea sort of being that an overview of the significant subjects is given and then people can follow up on a specific section if they're sufficiently intrigued..

I have my preferences too, but on my blog I just wrote a page called "My Diet and Plan" instead of trying to convince others to copy what I do.
    Well I'm aiming for the food recommendations to be based more on 'good evidence' rather than personal preference.. With most of the evidence currently being from what foods traditionally healthy societies seemed to prefer, and also what foods the various diets shared in common.

If you're referring to the 'just tell me what to eat' section, on that page I'm trying to make specific recommendations just as an example that people can relate to -- not meant to be a 'you must eat this'. I just added the word 'example' in there to try and make that more clear.

DFH
    I like the changes.

I hesitate to be critical because it's really good and it was a lot of work.

I think walnuts are as healthy as macadamias.

I'm still freaked out with all those pics of people showing their teeth in Healthy Societies. I don't get it. I wouldn't send that page to my family to read because they would think I got mixed up in some tooth cult or something!

I hesitate to be critical because it's really good and it was a lot of work.
    Its ok, I can handle it. I know there are issues but its a work in progress and part of why i'm posting this is because i'm seeking feedback/criticism/suggestions.

I think walnuts are as healthy as macadamias.
    This could be true, but my best guess right now is that macadamis are probably better due to lower polyunsaturated fat content:

1 cup Walnuts
    11 g omega 3
    44 g omega 6

1 cup Macadamia
    .2 g omega 3
    1.7 g omega 6

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Nuts, macadamia nuts, raw
    Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Nuts, walnuts, english [Includes USDA commodity food A259, A257]

I'm still freaked out with all those pics of people showing their teeth in Healthy Societies. I don't get it. I wouldn't send that page to my family to read because they would think I got mixed up in some tooth cult or something!
    I can understand it might look a little weird at first, but I really think the teeth/dental structure thing is pretty impressive.
    -89% of U.S. 12 to 17 year olds have some sort of dental disharmony. 16% have disharmony that requires “mandatory treatment”. Basically everyone knows someone who has some dental problems. Especially cavities, or say, wisdom teeth removal
    -Perfect dental structure is a noticable and memorable thing, in my opinion. Its a good representation of the idea that humans on a proper diet are just very solid, attractive, well-formed looking things.
    -It's visual evidence which some people might find more enticing/intriguing than just words words words on a page.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast