Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Made a wiki about health, with paleo themes.. page 2

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I thnk I may have to do less walnuts and more macadamias! I was just looking at Omega 3.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I learned about your site here Another great health and nutrition article resource | Julianne's Paleo & Zone Nutrition Blog and we were all pretty impressed. People think that you should have a blog of some sort.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

julianne is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFH View Post
    I thnk I may have to do less walnuts and more macadamias! I was just looking at Omega 3.
    I did a whole bunch of charts with omega 3 and omega 6 content of nuts, oils, seeds, meat etc. Yes walnuts have a ton of omega 6
    It's here FYI
    Omega 6 and 3 in nuts, oils, meat and fish. Tools to get it right. | Julianne's Paleo & Zone Nutrition Blog

julianne is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by free3337 View Post
    I put together a wiki about health. Paleolithic aspects are included but its primarily about populations that have been documented as healthy, modern scientific reasoning and research, etc.

It currently has over 1,200 references to unique, peer reviewed scientific literature. It is an open wiki and you may contribute, or discuss aspects/suggestions here. Certain parts of the wiki may be wrong, so correction regarding any of these would be appreciated.

If you're familiar with the paleo sphere (blogs etc), there is not really much or any novel content; the content is inspired by people who've already written lots of great stuff (e.g. Whole Health Source ). But I wanted to compile stuff. The ultimate idea is a site where if you wanted to talk to somebody about some health issue, you can easily pull up a concise but extensive document detailing everything relevant/significant, with sources and particular arguments included.

http://flare8.net/health
    Thanks for putting this site together - it's a great resource. I like how you have made notes properly referenced. Thanks. I put link through to it when I found it. I think Mark should put this in his link love!

free3337 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    you should have a blog of some sort.
    Thanks I guess, but i don't think a blog would really be appropriate for me:
    -I didn't really do much or any original thinking or research. With a blog, what would I write about? I'd only be reposting, rewriting or synthesizing the work others have done. Not that that's bad, but I think a wiki format might be better for that kind of stuff.
    -Health is important, but it's not my current or desired forte, and it's something I'd like to be 'done with' at some point. A blog is sort of a continuous, ongoing thing.
    By 'done with' I mean, to know basically what is good and bad food, and to have easily accessible, convincing and comprehensive arguments/data that I and others can link to when discussing health. That is the goal.

I'd like to point out some potential benefits i see in a wiki:

-Many people can contribute: I'm only one person, with limited time, knowledge, and interest, so I can only do so much. But with a wiki format, where many people can contribute small amounts, the benefits can really rack up fast and the quality would probably surpass anything I could ever put together on my own.

-Many people can contribute different skills: Someone might be good at research, so they post up on the wiki some new good evidence about something. But maybe they're not really good at writing/communicating. That's OK though, because someone else (who might not be good at research) can come along and contribute by improving the comprehensibility of the original writing. And yet another person (who might not be good at research or writing, but good with graphics) could come along and compress the info into even more digestible and portable things such as an image (see, The Paleolithic Diet InfoGraphic | Free The Animal ). Etc.

-Infinitely updateable: if some current line of reasoning or evidence ever turns out to be wrong, off, or unhelpful, it can be deleted or modified, and people can still link to the page the wrong info was on, or generally to the wiki. Similarly, if say, a new study popped up about the horrors of PUFA, the study can easily be added/updated to the PUFA page, and all the while people can still link to the same PUFA page, even if its content is changing as time goes on.

-Easy and cataloged discussion: say someone put together some argument about X, using some references to other papers. Another person is skeptical about one of the papers referenced. Discussion can then occur right on the relevant page, about why the reference is valuable or not. If any future people have the same skepticism, they can be linked directly to that discussion (and hopefully, the resolution of that discussion point). This way, an article/page/argument can contain just the relevant argument and research, without having to clutter that specific page with justifications as to why the research is valid. In a blog format, important or useful discussions can pop up in irrelevant pages, and further be hard to find due to the typical linear blog comments style.

----

I just incorporated these studies:

"In summary, we have shown that the pattern of variation in copy
    number of the human AMY1 gene is consistent with a history of diet-related selection pressures, demonstrating the importance of starchy foods in human evolution." ... "Human salivary amylase protein (responsible for starch digestion) levels are 6 to 8 times higher in humans than in chimpanzees." http://www.anthro.utah.edu/PDFs/jour..._variation.pdf

"The independent origin of salivary amylase in rodents and primates suggests that there has been strong evolutionary selection for amylase in saliva." http://www.science.marshall.edu/murr...ase%20gene.pdf

This was interesting regarding rice: "on the basis of evidence from prehistoric rice farming communities in Southeast Asia, we questioned the relationship between dental caries and the presumptive increased carbohydrate consumption consequent to the adoption of agriculture. This paper reviews recent literature on the topic and presents evidence that there is still no simple or universally applicable explanation for patterns of changes in caries frequencies during human prehistory."
    Can dental caries be interpreted as evidence of fa... [Front Oral Biol. 2009] - PubMed result

and found some more neat American Indian pictures @ Indians . Their health status is unknown..

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Then I agree, a public wiki is a great idea. I'll see if I can suggest some additions soon.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

john4445 is offline Junior Member
    Hi, where did your site go? I try to access it for some weeks now and I can't! Any chance of going live again? Or, at least, uploading your archive? Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12