Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (Toefuzz) page

Toefuzz is offline Member

Primal Journal (Toefuzz)

Primal Fuel
    A friend set a goal of running in a 25k in memory of a departed friend and I decided this would be a great way to finally lose weight while honoring our buddy's memory. Started the Couch to 5K program but realized I needed to lose some weight before putting in too many miles. Fortunately my cousin mentioned Primal Blueprint to me and I decided to give it a shot. Obviously the distance running isn't exactly primal, but it's the catalyst for the change and a goal I've set for myself so I'm going to stick with that, though I've incorporated the Couch to 5K program into my Primal Exercise.

To start, I am male, 32 years old, 5'10" and weight 271 pounds with a 42 inch waist. I was mildly active in high school (golf, tennis, pickup basketball, etc) but got away from it in college. Like so many people I've read on here college started to add on the pounds and life afterwards didn't help. I'm happily married with two kids and my eventual goal is to be able to walk my daughter down the aisle. She's 5 now and loves asking me if I'm exercising so I can do so... great motivation.

Today was day one and so far so good, though it's amazing how things I don't even eat or particularly care for become desirable once I've made a change and restricted my diet (beer, Doritos, etc).

Breakfast - Radish and pork hash from the cookbook. Surprisingly good, though I was a bit disappointed that most of the radish flavor was gone. On the bright side, my wife who hates radishes enjoyed it.

Lunch - Tuna and dried cranberries over some organic baby spinach.

Dinner - Chicken and Artichokes with Garlic Sauce - AWESOME! Plus I have a bunch left over for salad tomorrow.

Exercise - Combination walking/running for 30 minutes, 1.5 miles.

Today's Total
    Calories - 1855

Fat - 115.4
    Saturated 35.1
    Polyunsaturated 25.1
    Monosaturated 47.0

Carbohydrate 48.3
    Dietary Fiber 13.0

Protein 172.6

According to FitDay I burned 3,608 calories... seems high and not really that important, just something to add.
    Last edited by Toefuzz; 06-02-2011 at 05:20 PM.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    First off, love the ID. Toefuzz seems kind of cute lol. I haven't bought the cookbook yet but if you have a wife that hates radishes and liked the hash, well then I may have to try that.
    Georgette

geostump - Toefuzz is actually my son's nickname. He was born two months early and spent the first month in an incubator. Despite never wearing socks, booties, etc he always had Toefuzz so the name kind of stuck. I try not to yell it too loudly at soccer games

Day 2

Breakfast - Leftover Radish and pork hash

Lunch - Chicken and Artichokes with Garlic Sauce leftovers on a salad

Dinner - Unstuffed cabbage. Very good, actually turned the cabbage into a taco for the meatigoodness.

Snacks - Peach, smoked almonds

Exercise - A 1-2 mile family walk with my daughter on my shoulders. I also found a fun spontaneous form of exercise... bench pressing my children.

Today's Totals

Calories - 2027
    Fat - 132.7
    Saturated - 39.1
    Polyunsaturated - 14.4
    Monosaturated - 51.3
    Carbs - 62.5
    Dietary Fiber - 24.8
    Protein 162.1

Tired today, but that's normal.

Day 2.5 - The Test

Couldn't sleep last night and was messing around in my nightstand trying to find some headphones so I wouldn't keep my wife awake when I came across a rather large stash of left over Easter candy. Much to my surprise I knocked the crap aside and forgot all about it... until I was laying in bed trying to sleep 30 minutes later, then it started to sound really yummy. Fortunately willpower prevailed!

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Good for you!

I never ever had willpower in regards to food before primal. Now it's more like "will I, or won't I" and 9 times out of 10 I won't!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Quote Originally Posted by belinda View Post
    Good for you!

I never ever had willpower in regards to food before primal. Now it's more like "will I, or won't I" and 9 times out of 10 I won't!
    Amen!

Day 3 update shortly but first an important announcement:

To whom it may concern:

If you happen to come across my carcass sprawled on the floor hunched over an iPad please blame Mark Sisson. "Oh sure, how bad could a 15 minute workout be" I remember thinking to myself approximately 20 minutes before I keeled over and died.

Holy crap! I did the stage 1 exercises in the Primal Blueprint Fitness guide and can barely walk, let alone remember how many I managed to complete, my wife's name or the state I live in. 15 freaking minutes and I nearly died! Most surprising it was even a little fun.

Day 3

Breakfast - Egg and broccoli quiche. Not too bad but it needed something. Will add some sausage when I make a new batch tomorrow.

Lunch - Unstuffed cabbage leftovers

Dinner - Garam masala chicken recipe I made up. Couple of chicken breasts mixed with a table spoon of garam masala and two tablespoons of olive oil. Threw everything in a bag, rubbed the chicken to work the spice in, and let it sit for two hours. Might try letting it sit overnight next time.

Exercise - None (rest day)

Day 4

Breakfast - Berry crumble with blueberries and raspberries. Used walnuts and pecans along with misc. spices for the crust. I enjoyed it, though my wife says make it without walnuts next time, son asks for it without pecans

Lunch - Had a few egg crepes with wild smoked salmon, asparagus, and red onion. Very yummy and the kids like them as well, though they each only like certain parts.

Dinner - various leftovers from the week.

Snacks - been munching on nuts the last day or two (smoked almonds and macadamia nuts). Unfortunately the kids like the macadamia nuts so that might get expensive.

Exercise - the already mentioned Primal Fitness workout that kicked my ass. I had to scoot down the stairs on my butt b/c my legs were so shaky. Unfortunately my arms were as well so I couldn't support myself on the railing, hence the sitting. My wife was supportive though, she stood at the bottom of the stairs and laughed at me

Random Observations - My stomach seems to be doing much better as of late. Less gassy, gurgling, etc and things are coming out... ummm... cleaner I guess you could say A delicate subject but I'm sure other people who have cut out the grains and processed foods will know what I mean.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast