Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think about microwaves? page

HeatherJ is offline Senior Member

What do you think about microwaves?

Primal Fuel
    Do you think using a microwave to prepare food is unhealthy or dangerous?

Many people are familiar with the story of how the microwave was invented; in 1946 a scientist noticed the chocolate bar in his pocket melted when he stood near a magnetron for a period of time. In the subsequent 65 years, they have grown in popularity and now nearly every home has one.

My gut instinct tells me it's not good.. I do own one but use it only a few times a week. I'm reading a bit about it today and thought it was an interesting topic for discussion. So... what are your thoughts?

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    I don't have one - not particularly due to any health concerns but I'd rather just cook and prepare food without it. That said, if I ever eat out and the food has been microwaved it always tastes "wrong" to me.

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    The problem is, I don't know. My gut instinct says the same as yours. I'm very wary of microwaves - 1946 was not exactly a shining era in knowledge of human health and physiology. I avoid microwaving if at all possible; I heat up soup in a saucepan, food in the oven. I avoid food that is designed to be microwaved. A few times a week still seems very frequent. if that's something you try to avoid.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I think the biggest problem with microwaves is what most people heat up in them....pre-packaged crap and/or plastics. I don't have any worry about nuking my egg every morning or re-heating leftovers.

I did a class on microwaves in college--30 years ago--and the professor said there was no way he'd ever "let his wife buy a microwave". I've often wondered if his stance changed over time.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I use my microwave just to cook veggies such as frozen broccoli and cauliflower. Other than that, I don't find that the microwave works well to evenly cook or heat food.

However, as far as a health concern, there have been numerous studies from what I understand that have concluded that food that is cooked in a microwave is still the same from a molecular and nutritional standpoint as food that is cooked by other methods.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Though we don't use it as much as we used to (in general, I'm just not a big fan of reheated leftovers), the only meaningful cooking application I find it useful for is steaming.

My old Betty Crocker book still has guidelines for cooking things via microwave, because they'd just come out and gee gosh golly look what they can do! We're talking roasts, whole chickens...pretty much everything. Mmm. Gray meat!

I don't even use it for heating water for tea anymore. We bought a Keurig back in March, and it spits out hot water like it ain't no thang. But even pre-Keurig, I used my electric kettle for all hot water applications. I'm old new-fashioned like that.

And now that I really, really think about it...even when I used to eat frozen meals, I always tried to do them in the toaster oven if I had the time and the patience. They just taste better.

So to summarize: steaming and occasional reheating. That's what it's good for.

jaysond is offline Senior Member
    i dont use one either. a vegan friend of mine told me that are bad. i know there is more evidence showing they are bad rather than being good. i found this online and it supports everything i have ever heard. i have attached the link. everyone here knows about my primal results, the first thing i did in feb of 2010 was throw my microwave away. i heat everything up on the stove or eat it cold!!!!

jesus i hope this turns into a popular thread! i will pray! ;o)

__________________________________________________ _______________________________

For years the argument has been going on… is the microwave safe? Being invented in 1946 the microwave became an instant classic around north America and soon the world for its fast and convenient cooking methods. But was it doing more harm than good? Did anyone ever look into it? Did anyone care? Well I did some digging and research and came up with a few important facts everyone should know.

Microwaves kill nutrients and proteins
    In a recent study it was found that using the microwave to cook vegetables you were losing up to 98% of the veggies nutrients (especially if you had any water in with them ). The microwaves radiation goes into the vegetables and destroys all but a tiny amount of the plants essential and natural nutrients that your body uses to fight disease, gain energy, replenish cells and more. Whats the fix?

You need to stop using the microwave to cook veggies and start to steam them, this is the second best way to get all the nutrients and health rewards from eating green. The first would be to eat them raw as you should for a few snacks per week.

It was also found that re-heating meat such as steak or hamburgers that the microwave actually destroyed all the animal protein that the meal would have to offer if you didn’t use the zapper. The best way to re-heat your meat is just wrapping it up in tin foil and putting it back into the oven for a few minutes before you serve it.

Older microwaves have been known to leak radiation
    After a while just like most things you purchase in life, the consumer product takes a toll and begins to wear and tear. This is no different from your microwave, and just thinking about some of my friends houses and seeing they still use a microwave that had to be made in the 1970’s makes me sick to my stomach. Microwaves use radiation to re-heat the food and an astonishing amount of microwaves have been know to leak and expose people to EMF’s ( electromagnetic fields ).

Is The Microwave Safe?

i went primal in feb 2010
    200lbs
    37% body fat
    38-40 waist

1 year to the day
    140lbs
    7.8% body fat
    29 waist

currently
    137lbs
    7% body fat
    29 waist

Hunt3R is offline Member
    I've been told all my life to avoid microwave cooking because it destroys vitamins and nutrients in the food, but more recent research indicates that it could be quite the opposite. Possibly even the most optimal form of cooking?...
    Microwave Cooking | Perfect Health Diet

dado Guest
    dear microwave,

you keep my food warm, i eat it so quickly, in the oven it takes forever. thank you for the waves, microwave.

jaysond is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunt3R View Post
    I've been told all my life to avoid microwave cooking because it destroys vitamins and nutrients in the food, but more recent research indicates that it could be quite the opposite. Possibly even the most optimal form of cooking?...
    Microwave Cooking | Perfect Health Diet
    not personal but i will never beleive it. never! no way! there is nothing natural about a microwave.

i went primal in feb 2010
    200lbs
    37% body fat
    38-40 waist

1 year to the day
    140lbs
    7.8% body fat
    29 waist

currently
    137lbs
    7% body fat
    29 waist