Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The new Food Plate doesn't mention fat! page

lizch is offline Senior Member

The new Food Plate doesn't mention fat!

Primal Fuel
    I think this might be a step in the right direction:

USDA's MyPlate - Home page

They do mention in the verbage to increase low fat/non fat milk, but otherwise, there is no mention of fat, no allocation of a stupid amount sprinkled on top like seasoning.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    That thing is just as stupid as the pyramid. Now people will think that you shouldn't get any fat at all.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    I love the way it says: "Enjoy your food, but eat less." Something of a generalisation there I think.

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    I see it more as "well, nothing we have done thus far has actually worked, so lets go the non committal route".

At least the grains section is now less then the vegetables and fruit section, uhhh...progress in baby steps I suppose.

Nion is offline Senior Member
    My plate says fat is YUM
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Karma is offline Senior Member
    I was about to post the same thing. USDA is still pushing low fat! Headsmack! It is however, progress. Look at the fact that the "base" food is no longer cereal grains. and Fruits and vegetables is now 50% of the plan. If they would simply split the "grains" section into two pieces, call one "grains" and the other "healthy fats & oils" I think it would be a home run. I don't live in the dream world that big Agra is ever going to let grains drop off the plate, so leaving it there does not bother me as much as the lack of a "fat" section.

I agree with everyone so far, the whole idea didn't ever really work, still doesn't, and for us, it's still wrong.

But it can't be just me, I'm seeing an interesting shift in the grain area. It looks...smaller. Whereas the veggies are bigger. I'd love to know where the fats went too, but maybe they're finally starting to figure out that grains aren't perfect, and that people aren't doing well on the old ratios.

A small glimmer of hope for the American population?

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    I was about to post the same thing. USDA is still pushing low fat! Headsmack! It is however, progress. Look at the fact that the "base" food is no longer cereal grains. and Fruits and vegetables is now 50% of the plan. If they would simply split the "grains" section into two pieces, call one "grains" and the other "healthy fats & oils" I think it would be a home run. I don't live in the dream world that big Agra is ever going to let grains drop off the plate, so leaving it there does not bother me as much as the lack of a "fat" section.
    Of course, they still think healthy fats and oils include things like canola oil.

otzi Guest
    USDA's MyPlate.gov - Steps to a Healthier Weight

Did you click on the "Lose Weight" link? Man - Why didn't I think of that! Eat less!

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    That was the first thing I noticed...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast