Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else from Raleigh, NC? page

Daria is offline Member

Anyone else from Raleigh, NC?

Hi all,
    So I'm new to the primal lifestyle and have only been eating this way for a month. I'm still getting used to planning out all my meals and shopping in advance. It is difficult for me to always have a lunch packed to take to work.

I was wondering if there are others who live in Raleigh North Carolina here. Perhaps we can use this thread to share tips on where to shop and eat. I have to eat gluten free since it causes great problems for me.

Just as a reference point I work near the Crabtree Mall but I live in Apex. Right now I'm going to Whole Foods a lot for lunch since they label all their ingredients on the buffets. Also Chipotle but the only thing we can eat there are the salads and it can get too repetitive.
    Another place I've found is Roly Poly, which is a mostly a sandwich place but they have a few different salads.
    I know about Harmony Cafe on Creedmoor which specializes in GF foods, but I find they are a bit expensive for a small portion.

Anyone have more restaurant ideas? How about places you found outside of grocery stores to buy good meat?

mikewootini is offline Senior Member
    Hey there Daria,

I might be worthwhile for you to make a weekly trip to Carrboro/Chapel Hill or Durham. Wednesday and Sat morning are Farmer's Market days, Sat is in Durham. All local foods, locally grown. The one in Raleigh is a little more uncertain to me, but does have some good stuff.

For fish, I'd check out Tom Robinson's Seafood in Carrboro - it's all local catches from the coast. They bring the catches in on Thursday.
    You could also check Cliff's meat market in Carrboro, it's a locally owned butcher and they have some interesting cuts like 'elk' sometimes.

Personally I do most of my shopping at the Farmer's Market. It's cheaper, fresher, and more personal. there are a bunch of CSA options in the Triangle so you may want to check that out as well. If you are working in the park, there is that bbq place on 55 - though I'm not sure where they source the meat. There is also the Korean place and Neomonde is awesome too, Oh .. the Cuban place can be ok - lots of primal options there.

Oh here is a link to my yelp list - though not everything is on it.

Primal Blueprint Friendly - Chapel Hill
    -mikewootini
    ==================================================
    While I am 100% primal, sometimes I change gears to Paleo.
    twitter feed * Wootini Gallery

Daria is offline Member
    I finally got a bite! I think there must be more primal folks in our fair city but they must not be frequent users of this board. Thanks for the reply Mikewootini. Sadly I don't make it out to the Chapel Hill area often. I do have Lantern on my list of restaurants to try someday Also making the PB list on Yelp is a great idea.

I do shop at our Farmer's Market in Raleigh from time to time, in fact I just went this morning. I wish there were Organic farmers there, and if there are any there is no sign of that so I have to assume none of it is. However I found a great meat place there - Rainbow Meadow farms. They claim all of their animals are raised on pasture (even the Chickens), and they have a nice variety of stuff. Everything is frozen so I buy up several things and defrost throughout the week. It doesn't seem to be any more expensive than buying the stuff at Whole Foods.

The CSAs - yes there are several good ones around here which is great. I just started eating Primal though and I'm long past the cutoff to sign up for them this year but I will likely do that again in the future.

mikewootini is offline Senior Member
    Hey there to you too!

Yeah, best to try to make a trip out once or twice a month. Bring a cooler, load up and you are good for a while. Durham and Carrboro both have buffalo as well, which is great - as Buffalo are native to america - they can't shoot them up with antibiotics or hormones. Trader Joes is good for staples like nuts, oils, and things, but I wouldn't buy meat there. I've had it go bad a day or 2 later sometimes. apparently there is this new chain place called the meathouse over that way. I checked it out over here, it's got some ok stuff - but I recommend steering (no pun intended) away from the beef that is marinated. You have no idea what's in it.. even if it's 'organic' they could be using a ton of sugar.

I did some quick searches and Looks like Apex has a market - Cary Farmers Market - LocalHarvest

hey check out this seafood CSA! They drop off in Carrboro and Raleigh.

Core Sound Seafood - A Community Supported Fishery

Oh, there is this restaurant on glenwood that is supposed to be a farm to table restaurant which I will not name as they were complete a-holes to my GF, that aside it's an option to check out.
    -mikewootini
    ==================================================
    While I am 100% primal, sometimes I change gears to Paleo.
    twitter feed * Wootini Gallery

Daria is offline Member
    There is a Trader Joes in Cary and the Meathouse is nearby. I have bought their "natural" filet mignon steaks before which are grass fed but finished on grain. The only 100% grass fed steaks they sell are in their frozen section so you are limited to the cuts they happen to have.
    The tenderloin was awesome though and I think a little bit cheaper than Whole Foods.

You know I went to Trader Joes one time over a year ago because people around here were making such a fuss about it. At the time I was not impressed with the store. Their produce didn't look so great to me, a lot of it was wilted or looked like it had been sitting around for a while. I may have just gone in on a bad day. I notice that Mark mentions Trader Joe's several times in his book and it is supposed to be cheaper than WF. I might go by there tonight and give it another chance.

The restaurant I think you are referring to is Zely and Ritz who partners with a farm in Hillsborough. I have eaten there twice but have only gone on First Night to get the prefix menu which is a good deal (this was long before I went primal). I liked the food, but the place is expensive.

Last night the husband and I went out for dinner and a movie. We ate at Carraba's (the Italian chain) which is actually a decent place. I don't know if you ever eat there, I usually steer way clear of chain restaurants but this one actually still cooks the food instead of nuking it. Anyway they have a separate gluten-free menu and offer several entrees that are just a meat with vegetable side and salad.

gunnk is offline Senior Member
    I just found the threads asking about NC Primals. I've created an open Facebook group called "Triangle Primals" if anyone is interested in swapping local news, chatting, setting up some meet-ups, etc. If you have any trouble joining, drop me a line (kevin at kevingunn . org).

Mike Wootini -- love the gallery! I got my Murdoc figure that sits atop my guitar's amp there. :-)
    Life is short: Void the warranty.

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    Hi guys, greetings from Hillsborough. But I work in the Park, so I get over to Rolly sometimes too.

You might want to check out Wells Pork at the Raleigh Farmers' Market. I have not been to that location but have bought from their store in Burgaw (website). Their pork sourcing is a tad unclear to me but I get the more unusual things from them that I can't find elsewhere (e.g. on the last trip, fresh hearts and livers). They say on the website that *their* pigs are humanely treated, either free-range or housed (not sure what that means), but occasionally they'll buy other pigs to meet demand. So overall I'm not sure what that tells you about the average pork you might end up buying. I keep meaning to drop them a line and ask, but haven't gotten around to it. I expect the Wells people at the farmers' market should be able to tell you.

Their beef in the Burgaw store is all grass-fed. Again, not sure what they sell in Raleigh. Not affiliated, just a customer. If you get any other info from them, please report back!

Daria, I prefer to IF or pack a primal lunch. Personally I like sardines, so I'm easy, but lots of folks go for the Big Salad (with meat), or basically leftovers of whatever variety. I'm kind of a tightwad by nature so the cost differential is admittedly an element in my choices although the never-knowing what they're doing back in the kitchen is a more significant element. (I went out to meet a friend earlier this week, and instead of the cucumber salad I wanted with my burger, the kid brought me fries (undoubtedly fried in something horrid). Then he acted like he was doing me a big favor by leaving me that inedible matter although he did finally bring me some cukes. I find all of that rigamarole rather tiresome.) I'd rather splurge on grass-fed beef I cook myself than wonder why they call their allegedly locally-sourced $12 grass-fed burger a "Kobe burger", y'know?

But I digress. Cliff's is great but I hate going to Chapel Hell -- Weaver Street has decent sales on meat sometimes. Just keep in mind that "organic" doesn't mean much when it comes to meat, besides a higher price tag. They consider it organic if the poor things have been stuffed on soy and corn husks -- that doesn't make it nutritious!

Another source for organ meats and other exotica is the new(ish) Asian mega market in Durham. I don't recall the name, but it's where the Best Buy used to be around the side of the old South Square mall, across from the Target. They have duck, rabbit, and all sorts of bits and parts -- probably none of it ideally raised but something to keep in mind if you are just looking to vary your protein a bit.

I'd be interested in a cow share if folks wanted to do something like that sometime. Or when the season rolls back around, deer hunters/hunting and all that. I'm hoping besides the meat to try my hand at making buckskin!
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

gunnk is offline Senior Member
    @beachrat: You just lumped Carrboro and Chapel Hill together (Cliff's is in Carrboro)! The Carrboro citizenry will get dressed up in their best hemp overalls and form a mob over that kind of comment! I've been in Carrboro for over 20 years now, so trust me on that. :-)

Hogan Farms just north of Carrboro (just south of the Calvander intersection) sells grass-fed beef at the farm several days a week. They can be a bit pricey if you are on a budget, but they are serious about grass-fed. Their product list is here: In Stock | Beef & Wheat Maple View also sells beef (how much grain vs. how much grass I don't know) at their Country Store. I got over a pound of really great Filet Mignon there last week for $12.50. They also offer a big meat order that is something like 40 or 50 pounds of beef for $130. You have to call ahead for that as it is a special order. Looked like a good deal to me. I may try it if we get enough junk out of our freezer (there's still stuff in there from my pre-primal days). I started moving towards primal back in January and then discovered that I really, really, really shouldn't be eating wheat (I just didn't realize how bad I actually felt all the time).
    Life is short: Void the warranty.

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    I know, that was mean, wasn't it? You have to admit the towns kind of run together, although I admit they each have a different ambiance. Although from up here in northern Orange County, it's not always easy to tell... !

I've seen Hogan's sign but have not been going by at a time when I could check out their offerings. There are a few farms up past Hillsborough and to the west that have a similar deal, come by between certain hours on certain days. (I don't see the 40-50 pound deal on the website right now, but maybe because it's a special order?) I am not that organized of a shopper, I'm afraid. I also need to eat out of my freezer for a while, but maybe we can split 50 pounds when we both have more room, if it's available later.

cheers
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

tkarint is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnk View Post
    Hi all,
    So I'm new to the primal lifestyle and have only been eating this way for a month. I'm still getting used to planning out all my meals and shopping in advance. It is difficult for me to always have a lunch packed to take to work.

I was wondering if there are others who live in Raleigh North Carolina Land For Sale here. Perhaps we can use this thread to share tips on where to shop and eat. I have to eat gluten free since it causes great problems for me.

Just as a reference point I work near the Crabtree Mall but I live in Apex North Carolina Cabins For Sale. Right now I'm going to Whole Foods a lot for lunch since they label all their ingredients on the buffets. Also Chipotle but the only thing we can eat there are the salads and it can get too repetitive.
    Another place I've found is Roly Poly, which is a mostly a sandwich place but they have a few different salads.
    I know about Harmony Cafe on Creedmoor which specializes in GF foods, but I find they are a bit expensive for a small portion.

Anyone have more restaurant ideas? How about places you found outside of grocery stores to buy good meat? I just found the threads asking about NC Primals. I've created an open Facebook group called "Triangle Primals" if anyone is ...
    Thanks for all the help you'll be rendering. Triangle Primals I'll keep that in mind and will be checking in soon!
    Last edited by tkarint; 07-05-2011 at 04:18 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast