Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: troubled vegetarian..please help.. page 3

bazt Guest

Primal Fuel

What is it with everyone saying we need to treat animals "humanely" animals aren't human..obviously. they're animals = food! I certainly do think we need to treat animals with the respect they deserve for nourishing us, but back in the day they would have been hunted any which way; run down till exhaustion/ cornered and slain with rocks, (if they didn't have a spear handy-just speculating), scared over a cliff (nice and easy) etc. They'd have to get their meal however they can. I'm not saying modern day farming methods and the bad treatment of animals is justifiable, but I just *really* don't understand how people can actually be put off eating meat, it boggles my mind, and yes I have seen cruelty vids and the like. To be human is to eat meat. PS sorry if this OT, I just don't like that word and the way its used by some people.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

bazt, I agree.

Animals in the wild typically die horrible deaths through being eaten unless they are a top level predator. I have posted links to videos I became aware of through www.freetheanimal.com showing, for instance, lions attacking a urdu, chimps attacking a monkey, both victims becoming dinner while still alive. But our slaughterhouses are inhumane?

Typically, the cow will be stunned by an air driven hammer. BANG! No more consciousness. Then lifted by the hind legs and the throat slit. Slitting the throat is the Kosher way, and used throughout the world for slaughter.

Now, would you rather by conscious or unconscious when they slit your throat?

Del Mar Mel Guest

Bazt, for some of us it is an issue. I agree with you that whatever means necessary would have been the norm in Grok times. However, it would not have been like the sheer volume of animals that we talk about today. We would be horrified at the idea of ending our pet's lives like this so I don't see the disconnect. Also, I don't think that animals are here to simply serve us as food and pleasure.

Admittedly, I would fail horribly in Grok times. I would have certainly required a husband.

That being said, the overall treatment of animals, including slaughter, should be conducted in a much more humane way. There is no need for suffering when the process could simply be made more precise. The bottom line should not be merely a dollars and cents thing.

Annika is offline Senior Member

Hi Seize, I was a vegetarian and then a semi-vegetarian for many years. Several years ago I read The Omnivore's Dilemma and realized that all the reasons I didn't eat meat (environmental, health, animal welfare) did not apply to grass-fed, pastured, humanely raised animals. I cautiously began eating red meat and never looked back. In my mind, there is is world of difference between supermarket meat and meat bought from a farmer you know and trust. In terms of cost, I keep costs down by buying cheap cuts, usually ground beef of stew meat chunks, which run $3.50- $5.00 per pound. One pound will feed my family of four. Not as cheap as beans, but not too bad.

Bazt, you say we should treat animals with the respect they deserve, which is why many on MDA seek out meat which has been raised well. CAFO (factory farm) animals spend their lives in horrible conditions. Do you want to contribute to that industry? I'm not so concerned by the fact that they are killed, but I am with the quality of life they have.

My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

nina_70 Guest

I'm with Annika. Knowing what I know now about how meat is raised, I only buy 100% pasture-fed meats. It's from animals that live fully free-range (not in CAFO's) and eat what they were supposed to eat (grass). We eat less meat because it is more expensive, but for us it's totally worth it. We buy in bulk directly from a farmer and stick to cheaper cuts.

You can also, of course, supplement w/ fish, dairy and other sources as others have mentioned.

P.S. I'm a former vegetarian too...but going back a few years

seize18 Guest

hi all, and thanks for the help and support...but BAZT - do you have any idea how narrow minded you sound? probably not...yes, animals die horrible deaths at the "hands" of other animals..but you don't see a shark killing thousands of seals at a time and trying to profit from them..and feeding them total crap to beef them up to get a better price...animials have souls as well..and they exist for more than our food...

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member

If animals exist they have to feed. We are all food to an animal higher up in the food chain.

A shark doesn't have to kill thousands of seals at a time as he kills only when he needs to eat.

Factory farms kill thousands at a time to feed the population so that we don't have to go out and kill. They could be doing a hell of a better job at it. They do need to make a profit as they are in business.

Organizations like PETA should not be trying to make everyone vegetarian but should be encouraging better treatment of animals.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

"Organizations like PETA should not be trying to make everyone vegetarian but should be encouraging better treatment of animals."

Almost exactly what I wrote on my anti-vegetarian essay.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member

Raphael, was that for an assignment or was that a post here. Would be interested in reading it.

Pikaia is offline Junior Member

It is not just the slaughterhouse practices that I find unacceptable. I understand that the death of my meat is unlikely to be fun. But does every minute of my future meal&#39;s life need to be torture? I can&#39;t accept that.

Again, I highly recommend the movie Food, Inc. as a non-PETA source of information.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast