Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: troubled vegetarian..please help.. page 2

Juan Martinez is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

@seize18

Eventually, you might find a farmer's market near you, or a farmer who sells directly to the pubic. The true "free range" animals/birds will not have been treated cruelly. I think that's part of the definition of free range and organic.

FWIW, the only problem I have with "The Paleo Diet" by Loren Cordain is that he is so weirdly against saturated fats. Mark's take on that issue is a sensible one. Hunter/gatherers, and any hunting animal for that matter, preferentially go for fatty parts of the prey first -- organs and the like. In times of plenty, quite often only the fat parts art eaten and the rest is left for scavengers. I have not seen any compelling evidence suggesting we did not evolve doing exactly the same.

All the best.

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

Hey, welcome seize18.

Yes, do go for cheaper cuts if you're worried about cost issues - cheaper cuts doesn't mean cheaper meat that was once a badly-mistreated animal. There are just some parts of the animal that need longer to cook in order to taste good. Here in the UK we have stewing steak which would be awful fried, but is fantastic in a, well, stew! (Which takes longer and makes the meat tender as anything, mmm!).

Enjoy your revived meat eating ways!

musajen is offline Junior Member

I'm currently reading The Vegetarian Myth and skipped ahead to the chapter on Nutrition. Something I read last night reminds me of your post...the author describe a two month period in her life when she was vegan where she wrestled with hunger.

There was a bagel shop she walked by fairly regularly and she stopped in for a bagel one day. She got a plain bagel but thought about the cream cheese almost obsessively. The next day, she got the cream cheese and loved it. And the next day she got double the cream cheese.

She did this a few times a week for two months, trying to ignore that she was doing it and that her body was grateful for it. At the time, she equivocated it with a moral or spiritual failing on her part, not a physical hunger that had to be satisfied.

Your situation isn't uncommon and your body knows what it needs. It's great that you're listening. Something you might look into is buffalo - it's a fairly new product on the market (relatively speaking) and has not had much of an opportunity to be tainted by factory farming. I don't know how it compares price-wise to other free range/grass fed animals but might be worth looking into.

Good luck to you!

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

Buffalo is very tasty...

misathemeb is offline Member

i probably eat 3-6ounces of meat daily and that's it! i eat tons of greens, root veggies, limited berries & nuts. i use avocado or EVOO to increase my fat intake. i used to only eat fish or chicken and i've realized that variety is the spice of life you don't have to only eat meat on PB don't fear!

emmie is offline Senior Member

I have always been a meat eater, but once I read about factory farming of animals, I could no longer eat anything except grass-fed/free range, humanely raised animals.

Fortunately, I am in a position to afford the extra cost, but years ago when I was a poor graduate student I existed on a diet close to primal that was mainly eggs and canned tuna.

If you don't eat too much meat, you can afford to eschew factory farmed products.

seize18 Guest

thanks again everyone..wish i could take you all out for coffee (especially the women)...here's a question - the paleo diet seems to be against coconut oil..but i've read so much saying that it's quite healthy for you..and comments?

Queen of the Jungle is offline Junior Member

From what I can tell, people on this forum love coconut oil. They don't agree w/the Paleo Diet book in that respect.

pandapuffs Guest

Gabe, Whole Foods' standards for ethical treatment are available on their website. It looks like beak trimming for turkeys is sometimes allowed with some fine print--you might look into those details and decide whether that's a practice you're okay with. I notice it is not allowed for other poultry.

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/products/meat-quality-standards.php

I'm a former vegan and now a happy meat-eater, and with research and a little work you can have a happy conscious at the end of the day.

Del Mar Mel Guest

Hi Seize! I too am coming into this from a place of veggies (raw foods). Sue and Emmie have some great comments on how to slowly wade into this area.

I pretty much have decided I will only consume organic/ free range but I don't plan to eat much meat. I am sticking mostly with fish but I have scoped out a good butcher shop nearby that is all free range product. I am still stuck on the slaughter house aspect. They still all wind up in the same place with the same grotesque and inhumane practices so that factor will severely limit how much I eat. Overall, if you are concerned enough to only eat organic/ free range, I'm sure you will be doing yourself a big favor. Food, Inc. is a great film to further reinforce the importance of this.

Also, do a search on the forum for "Carrie Sisson". She is Mark's wife and she does not eat red meat or chicken. She sticks with fish, some protein powder and some dairy. That was how I decided I would approach this and then I found her post. It can be done!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast