Thread: Soy page

PMAC is offline Member

Soy

Primal Fuel
    I hate to do this but due to current time constraints I do not have a lot of "research" time so I am asking for help with resources that address the bad side of soy. A friend of mine has an ex-wife that is on a soy kick and is pumping his 7 year old daughter with it in all forms. He knows its bad for her as do I but I can't defend it scientifically so that he can share it with his ex in an attempt to sway her to stop using it (especially with regards to his daughter). If you know of any resources that could help us make his case I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    I don't mean to be contrary, but if he can't defend it scientifically then how does he know it is bad for her?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    here's mark's take on it:

Scrutinizing Soy | Mark's Daily Apple

i don't think it's as bad as grains, but it can certain cause some problems. i still have the occasional soy sauce, conventional marinade, miso soup, etc. and don't worry too much about it. i mostly avoid it because, like grains, it needs to be processed first...and of course there's the whole monstanto evil thing

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Here is something from the Weston A Price Foundation.

The Ploy of Soy
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

PMAC is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by secretlobster View Post
    I don't mean to be contrary, but if he can't defend it scientifically then how does he know it is bad for her?
    Sorta like he knows gasoline is harmful for her to drink but he can't prove it scientificly with out useful resources.

Thanks for the helpful responses. Will dig a little deeper.

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    I guess I don't see the comparison between ingesting soy and gasoline. There is controversy regarding soy. I have done some research on it lately because I enjoy tofu and soy sauce, and you will find a lot of conflicting evidence based on where you get your information. Just read a study yesterday looking at the effects of soy (fermented) on female hormones over a 2-month period and there were no conclusive results. I'm really not trying to be a jerk, or to play devil's advocate for no reason. Honest. I'm just saying that you will probably not find conclusive evidence that it's really damaging. It's one of those issues where your preexisting bias will dictate the information you find about it.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    If there is a history of female cancers in the family or if the woman has PCOS, the consumption of soy can increase your chances of getting female cancers. I avoid it like the plague as I am PCOS and there are a history of female cancers in my family.
    Georgette