Thread: Hello! page

allthings is offline Junior Member

Cool Hello!

Shop Now
    Hi, everyone! I'm Cara, and I'm a 22yr old Brit currently living in Tokyo.

I thought I'd give a bit of diet history, feel free to skip

At 16 I went vegan for 2 years, then from 18 I was a cheese-loving vegetarian. After coming to Japan I started eating seafood. I've always been slim (I'm 5ft 2, always been about 100-110lbs), but I've also always had a bloated looking belly and some extra weight around the hips that I could never get rid of.

My first month in Japan was hell on my stomach. I was eating loads of rice, pasta, and processed foods, and my body hated me for it. This eventually got a bit better, but I was constantly tired and was missing a lot of class. I was starting to think there was something seriously wrong with me - I could sleep for 12 hours, and still need to nap a few hours after waking up. That's when I started doing some serious research on diet and nutrition. I'd already started making various changes in my life (the earthquake here was a huge wake-up call for me), and I'd heard of the paleo diet from various minimalist blogs, and it was also popping up in my search for a way to banish my fatigue. The more I read, the more it started to make sense.

For the past 2 months I've been phasing out my old eating habits and introducing new ones. Each week I make a few changes, and each week I feel better and better. I've given up grains and legumes completely (except for white rice occasionally), and have nearly phased out dairy (working on the yogurt and ice cream). I don't buy processed food anymore, and I've stopped gulping down sugary fruit drinks. My body and my wallet are both thanking me My stomach is nearly flat, I've got loads of energy, and I'm learning to cook and actually enjoying it! I'm still not eating meat due to moral issues, especially as here in Japan there are practically no laws on how animals are treated. Tbh I think I will always be happier not eating meat

Next on the list is to get rid of the dairy completely, and to make my own salad dressings. My one vice that I'm really having trouble with is chocolate - especially around 'that time of the month' I get terrible sugar/chocolate cravings.. any advice??

Anyway, sorry for the long post! I look forward to learning a lot around here

Cara x

ELDuran is offline Member
    Try dark chocolate %70+ cacao. When the craving comes, I eat that. Just don't over eat it. =)

I'm not too keen on dark chocolate, but I guess it would be easier for me to replace milk choc with dark before phasing it out completely. I'll give it a go!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Cara! Sounds like you are off to a good start.

No need to eat meat. Mark's wife only eats fish.

Given that you are thin, some white rice is probably fine.

Good luck with primal!

No need to completely give up dairy if you can digest it.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Thanks for the encouragement, Hedonist!