Thread: If I can do it....you can too page

wilma is offline Junior Member

If I can do it....you can too

My name is Wilma and I started eating "primal" July 2010. A friend of mine had been talking about the "primal blueprint" and all the improvements to her blood work. She also did look better and said she felt better than she had on any other type of "diet". I put "primal" in quotes because I am not a true primal eater. I put "diet" in quotes because I really believe that all diets fail because they are considered diets and not simply ways of living. I was a true skeptic and thought that maybe I could give up some stuff to improve my health, but certainly not breads, popcorn or some other things that I can no longer even remember. I should find my email that nicely laid out my plan for going semi-primal. Well, I read the Primal Blueprint and Gary Taubes' Good Calories Bad Calories and was sold. I was so angry after reading Gary's book - felt so mislead all these years by our very own organizations that are supposed to help us stay healthy. So, I changed my eating the very next day!

Your location: Seattle, WA

How Primal are you: Partial - I was told to go for 100% and settle for 80%. I would say that I do "cheat" by having some grains or sugars every so often. I enjoy it when I do. I don't feel bad about it. I will say that they are always of the best quality - or why bother.

Do you consume dairy: Yes. Mainly in the form of milk, cream and cheese.

Do you drink coffee or tea: yes to both. coffee daily as drip or lattes

Motivator for switching to Primal: I was taking statins to lower my cholesterol. My LDLs are quite a bit higher now, but looking at the details shows very few small dense particles compares to the the larger ones. All my other stuff like IR, CRP, TG are all great.

Favorite exercise: Running (my feet and knees don't agree). I achieved my goal of completing a 1/2 ironman before turning 50 last June. Now, I focus on shorter distances and higher levels of effort. it feels good! I also did the 90+ days of P90X - that was great. Am continuing with less intensity and frequency.

Favorite Primal food: A good steak, fresh eggs, wild salmon and best of all...Black Cod!

Best part about being Primal: I love what I eat and feel good eating it. I am no longer bloated on a regular basis. I've gone down several pants sizes and lost about 15 pounds in the last year. I also just absolutely love dark chocolate for the very first time in my life. Another wonderful benefit is that I am not going around hungry all the time and am satisfied when I eat.

Worst part about being Primal: Trying to eat out at restaurants without eating foods prepared in some way with vegetable oils.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Wilma! I'm glad primal is going well for you.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.