Thread: New Spin on Marks Primal Nut Crackers page

allende is offline Junior Member

New Spin on Marks Primal Nut Crackers

Primal Fuel
    I have been playing around with the primal nut crackers, trying different spices etc. (I even did one batch with shredded coconut and 85% chocolate in place of the cheese...plus some diced up walnuts and not garlic of course!) My latest version is as follows and I love them.
    2 cups fine almond meal
    1 tsp. baking soda
    NO garlic...but this would be good in this version
    1 cup high quality shaved parmesan cheese
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts
    2 tbsp olive oil
    4 tbsp water
    NO salt (I have found that the soda is salty enough and the extra salt is just too much)
    1/2 tsp cayenne pepper...more to taste
    2 tablespoons of a spice you like...I used one I got in Santa Fe called Jordinian Za Atar
    I bake this as per Marks instructions on parchment paper at 350 degrees....but I find I need to leave it in longer than 15 minutes. Also I may not make mine as thin as suggested....I bake it a little longer....but it is not a crispy cracker...but a great chewy texture. It fills that..."I WANT BREAD" little voice in my head! I am so hooked on this primal eating...my husband loves it.....one daughter is doing it and I am talking to my friends about it.....it makes great common sense to me! AND...I think I am dropping a few pounds as I get more and more into this, only 12 more to go........I am thrilled! Carole

nicoleah is offline Member

Smile

Congrats on your weight loss! I've lost 32 (20 on PB diet alone before stepping up the exercise) and am aiming for another 7-10.

Here’s what I used (and this may not be exact, since I’m a ‘wing-it’ kind of cook) in my attempt to somewhat 'Primalize' a food day at work.

1 ½ cups almond meal
    2 tbsp whole raw sesame seeds (all I had left)
    ½ cup sunflower seeds (the regular roasted salted kind)
    ½ cup whole raw golden flax seeds
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 clove garlic, minced
    ¼ tsp each dried rosemary and thyme (could have used double that)
    1 cup Parmesan cheese
    2 tbsp olive oil (added more since it seemed too dry, maybe 4 tbsp total?)
    ½ tsp onion salt
    4 tbsp water (added maybe 2-4 tbsp more water, too.)

I mixed it all in the food processor but not to paste, the flax and sesame seeds were still mostly visible. I rolled it flat between two pieces of parchment paper, scored them with a pizza cutter (didn’t cut all the way through) and baked 20 minutes on two large cookie sheets. After cooling a bit the middle sections still seemed soft so I stuck them back in the hot (but turned off) oven and left the door slightly open to dry them out. I ended up closing the oven door after they’d cooled and let them dry in there all night. They popped right apart along the lines and are surprising tasty. The thicker ones from the middle of the pan are a bit dense (should have been rolled thinner) and oddly greenish (flax seed & olive oil, perhaps?) but the rest are crispy. So they look kind of funny but it was very easy and I’m pleased with the result on my first attempt! It will be neat to make them with different seasonings/herbs depending on what I plan on eating them with. Cookie cutters could pretty them up but are probably too time-consuming for me to mess with.